Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Planning a pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I discovered a new tool to utilize in planning a pedal board. Microsoft Visio will scale item to the 1/4" effectively for this purpose. You can drag items around, and even super impose images.

I saved one a a bitmap- maybe be hard to see, but in a normal Visio file it can get detailed. This is just a first try, but perhaps i'll be able to add cable routes, etc.

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Let's try this:

[​IMG]

3. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Yeah, I used SolidWorks (a CAD program) to make sure everything would fit on mine. I have that program with my office, but have never used it. Make sure you account for cables and geteverthing to scale though.

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Everything is to exact scale. I placed retangles to exact size on the scale on the pedal board outline. I then used actual pictures of the pedal that I found on the web and snapped it to scale.

It looks to be otherwise, but that's because the pedalboard is 40" x 24".

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Looks good, but are you sure you need that much space for rent? If you think you do, that's fine.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yep, I use Visio for this and any other space-planning needs I have, works like a charm if you can get the dimensions of pedals you don't have. Just remember to include space for the cables coming out the sides/tops.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is this Visio program a free download?

8. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
  9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004