1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Planning a two amp rig starting from Ampeg SVT-II and an SVT-810PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SeaK, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey guys!

After watching the Billy Sheehan Advanced Bass DVD, I somehow got the obsession to start working on a two amp rig that would enable me to run two different sounds at the same time (clean low, distorted & clanky high) through two different amps. The current set-up I am using is an Ampeg SVT-II through an Ampeg 8x10PRO cabinet. Now the problem is that I would not want to give up either of these two pieces of gear since they are quite rare in Finland and I love the sound of both, but then again I wouldn´t want to purchase a new similar rig cos that would just again cost me a fortune and being a poor student, I think I need to come up something more cost effective. Let alone dragging a 2 x 8x10 set-up to club gigs would be just crazy overkill as my band mates are already nearly killing me for my 8x10 already ;)

Now the ideal situation that I had in mind would be that I would have two amps running the 8x10 divided as 2 x 4x10´s but that seems to be a lil problematic since the 810PRO doesn´t offer the stereo mode as the newer 8x10´s and even if I would rewire it so that there would be two different inputs, with the 32 ohm speakers I would get two 8 ohm 4x10 "cabinets" and the maximum ohm load for the SVT´s is four. Apparently there is no way that I would be able to wire this cab so that I would have two 4 ohm 4x10" combinations without changing the speakers or that there is no way to get the SVT´s to work with a 8 ohm load? So basically I was wondering do I have any chances on earth of just adding another (SVT) head to my system and doing some mods on then stuff or would I really be looking into going for other cab(s) for this? Any recommendations or solutions to my dilemmas here?

Or maybe I am just an idiot even to consider this stuff who should simply plug my Thunderbird directly into the SVT rig and enjoy the sound as it is? ;)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    IMHO it's totally unnecessary in this day and age. There are so many devices to split your signal and rejoin it at the input that carrying two SVT rigs seems insane unless you have roadies like Billy. Plus almost all bass distortion pedals have a blend knob that mixes clean and dirty in the pedal itself.

3. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well, I do understand this point of view as well and that´s really why I definately don´t want at least another 8x10 to drag around for gigs. The thing is that I feel that I would need more control over my sound than what I get with using just the blend knob on distortion pedals (have worked with loads and loads of them over the years) and I feel that a two amp system would really give me the control over my sound that I am after.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'd rather get a two-channel preamp.

5. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have been looking into this as well but then there´s still the "problem" of the clean and the distorted sounds coming through the same cabinet. It is still a good poin to consider, anyway. I haven´t had much luck in finding versatile enough two channel preamps - Pearce BC-1 / G1 would be an interesting option but deadly hard to find here in Europe, at least. Would you happen to have any good suggestions on two channel pre´s?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry, no. Your point about the cabs is a good one, but do you really want to lug two 810's? Maybe you could get two 4-ohm 410's.

7. How about (2) svt410hlf cabinets? They are ported, quite powerful & are rated at 4 ohms each. Add another amp along with those two cabs, and you have plenty of bottom end...

8. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    playing small gigs will suck then. you will be the only thing you hear.

9. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well this is also a very considerable option but then I would have to give up my 810 because of financial reasons and as I wrote in the first msg, I wouldn´t really like to do this. But sure enough, if there really is no way of splitting my 810 so I could use it with two SVT´s, then I think going 2 x 4x10 would be the way to go.

10. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    I think that´s why they have ´em volume controls in the amps so that this would not be the case.

11. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have to admit that I have no experience with HFL´s but as I´ve understood from other ppl´s experience, since they are ported I might be lacking the tight & defined bottom end that I would get with a sealed cab like the 8x10 even though there would be plenty of lows... But I guess I should go and test them myself first before making hasty judgements based on other people´s experinces.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, you should, but just remember that the heavy bottom on the 410HLF doesn't manifest itself at the store like it does on a gig. In the store it sounds full and rich but not a lot different from other cabs. On a gig the bottom end will beat your brains in. I understand why some people dig it, but it's not for me. I always have to roll bass off when I get supplied one by a backline company too lazy to bring me an 810.

13. The SVT410HLF does have a heavy ass-end thats 4 sure. Sounds too flabby for my liking especially with tube amp powering. Can't U split the 810 into a top & bottom?? thus having 2x410's in the one cab?

14. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well this is exactly what I am asking since for me, this would be the ideal option. The only problem here is that with the 32 ohm elements, I would be getting two 8 ohm 4x10" "cabs" and the SVT only runs on 2 or 4 ohms. I started the whole thread actually to find out if someone would know if there´s a trick I could do to run either the SVT´s on an 8 ohm load or that if I would be able to somehow get 2 or 4 ohms out of four 32 ohm speakers.

15. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yeah this is exactly what I´ve heard. Maybe I will borrow a HLF for a band practice to see what is happening with it with my SVT. I´ve heard from someone that he tried sealing the ports somehow and made some success of making it sound less muddier.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You know, I totally forgot about that. I'm pretty positive that you can just hook two 8 ohm speakers up to it and it will switch itself to 4 ohms. I know the old SVT's you have to daisy chain two 8 ohm speakers together and plug them into one speaker out, but I'm pretty sure that they fixed that problem a long time ago.

17. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sorry I am no expert in these speaker issues: do you mean that I would connect an extra 8 ohm speaker with the four 32 ohm speakers connected together to be 8 ohm or that I would connect an extra 8 ohm speaker to the SVT along with half of the speakers in my 8x10?

18. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I would try a better blend pedal and get a good distortion pedal and maybe a EQ pedal to shape the distortion exactly like you want it...

Check the effects forum for recommendations on blend pedals.

19. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Another option is to keep the bass rig more or less the same and add a small guitar combo for the distorted highs, say a 25W tube 1x12". Because the lows take a lot more power, you can easily match volumes with a smaller guitar amp - you don't need to balance the power. Might also be worth looking into the rigs used by others like dUg Pinnick, John Entwistle, and Tom Petersson, all of whom use(d) an overdriven top end.

20. SeaK

SeaK

Feb 24, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hmmh that is actually a pretty good idea - never came to my mind! I think that some smaller tube head & cab or even a combo could really do it for me with getting the distorted highs. Thanks for the suggestion, I will definately look into it!