1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planning my first festival

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 3star2nr, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    So my band and I have been floating the idea of putting on a show in the park from April. We talked alot about it,and how awesome it would be to have x local band play there. Well, finally one day while we were talking about it in a music store the store owner jumped in and basically volunteered to give us a PA system for the day.

We had a couple more conversations and finally my band mates told me that since im the one most excited about it that if I can get the bands together that I should go ahead and plan and organize it.

We'll? I did it. I got the bands got the location, paid for it got the dates, organized the time table, designed and printed the posters and started walking around town advertising it.

The festival is on the 26nd I go to rehearse and they sand bag me. They want me to cancel the festival because they don't think anyone is gonna show, they think its too soon and I need to spend a few more months planning it, and that I should postpone it until next year.
    They also said its not my job to put on shows.
    That we should get someone esle to do it I should just play bass.

We are an independent band and weve been booking all our own shows, I've booked a few, to me this is the same thing with Moore variables. I don't see why they were saying all that.

I basically had to spend 2 hours in a heated exchange with them convincing them, and telling them that I'm not cancelling.

So now after all of this I basically told them that they had to make a choice either help me promote and get people or not come. But one WA or another the pa will be there and i will be there ready to play with the other bands.

Jump to today, the city starts hitting me with some other costs and i have insurance companies trying to rip me off. For a 1 day festival. Its like everyone and everything is trying to force me to cancel. I want to keep going and I want to make this thing something truly amazing, but are the nay Sayers right and should I just quit.

If I do chances are I'll never setup another show again, and based on the weather for the next 3 months in my area and the park availability this is the only day I can throw the event.

I don't know what to do now. What if they were all right and no one does show:crying:

2. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    Some more details. I did not approach local businesses and vendors for sponsorship or to sell things and i am not doing. A attendance cost. I wanted to break the festival down to its simplest form and go through the entire process, s that I can learn what's involved and what will be required should I choose to pursue another in the future.

The actual setup costs weren't terrible only insurance, I am currently thinking of ways to generate income for futureevents

3. Wow. Well, it sure would be a BIG help if all your band mates were 100% onboard with you. With their low enthusiasm it’s a tough call. Besides insurance you’re going to need portable bathrooms, security, and etc too. If you think you can pull it all off in time don‘t cancel, but if you have doubt, maybe you should move the date to next summer.

4. Me neither. They probably don't feel ready. Record yourselves at next practice and be objective. If its "passable quality" for the festival then them saying that would be a huge red flag to me.

In fact, if that was said to me, coupled with "just play bass we need someone else" I would walk from the project.

Good luck.

5. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    I do a couple of small festivals every year. This is not something to be taken lightly and it will only work with the help of everyone else involved. If you're getting a lot of static even within your own band don't do it, put it off for a later date and get the help you need to pull it off successfully.

6. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    No doubt. I've done all the work booked the bands got the pa sponsored, designed and printed the posters paid for everything, I did put alot of work in this, and i asked for help alot of people said they would help but didn't show up so i needed up picking up the slack.

As far as my band, I think its easy for people to get cold feet and quit or say I should cancel when no one has invested in it.

My girl friend thinks I should go through with it. And I really want to do it

7. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I think you should go for it too, but that is just they type of guy i am and what I would do, other than smacking my weak ass band mates around a bit for not supporting my efforts.

Good Look.

Cheers!

MJW

8. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    Yeah I slept on it and thought alôt about it. And yeah I'm gonna go through with it and try to get the other bands to help me promote it. The music store that's sponsoring the pa is also promoting it on Facebook too so who knows.

I gave my word and said this was gonna happen, so if it sucks I'm gonna be a man and take it on the chin. If its awesome though there's go a be alot more

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    The 26nd of what month?
    This month, October?
    April?

I get your rant but you know - nowhere do you mention in what part of the world will this festival be held.

You'd get a lot better advice (and possibly some help) if we had a clue if this was Philadelphia or Latvia...

What's your plan for parking and traffic control?
    Who will be running logistics while you're onstage with your band?

Your band doesn't think they're ready _and_ they're concerned no one will show? At most one of those is real...

You're opening, right? Play your best 2 or 3 songs, welcome everyone to the festival, then get off the stage to go run stuff...

I'm all for jumping in with both feet but like others who have done this kind of thing before just the part you can see is big, and the part you can see is a tiny fraction of what needs to get done.

Focus...

10. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Advertising it properly is VERY IMPORTANT! Do you have any radio station advertising set up? I'm too old to know about the social media aspect of promoting it, but that may have a role as well. You need broad exposure. An experienced organization who has already done this would be a great partner, if you can find one to work with you, where they can also benefit in some way.

11. You need a team of people to help you with organizing - then delegate. Some festivals have a small army of volunteers.

Also, with their attitude, consider not booking your own band.

12. Not sure what you feel "getting ripped off" by insurance company is, but I know that I've seen costs of up to $600 for a one day event in a public forum that already has its own insurance.
    Its a costly endeavor.

If you are having it in a venue with parking and restrooms, great. If not, then as others have said, that's a big expense.

On top of it all, look for for city ordinances concenring public performance. Back in the day, I got tagged a couple hundred bucks for playing in someone's garage, because the crowd was outside. Thankfully, the couple hundred $ was only a tiny fraction of the possible fine, since the judge realized it was a douchebag ticket, but was required to give a minimum fine.

All that being said, these events have to start somewhere, with someone willing to take the chance! Good luck!