Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Planning on building a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Mar 7, 2005.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    With my grandfather. We are coming up to the question of protective covering and have reached a cross roads.

1) Truck bed liner
    pros:
    Easy to apply
    Easy to clean (beer, smell, fur won't cling to it)

cons:
    Chips off easily when moving.

2) Carpet
    pros: easy to apply
    won't chip off like the truck bed liner.

cons:
    Beer and smells will be hard to get off.

I've heard about epoxy coverings. Has anyone had any experiance with those or any other coverings? As of now we are leaning towards a carpet covering with some sort of plastic top covering.

2. I say use carpet and stock up on Febreeze.

3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the truck bed liner is actually very durable. it is much better than carpet or tolex. if you want to go the total high end route then cover the cab with plastic f.r.p. panel and do the corner seams with aluminum angle. (pop riveted) then do the corners with either aluminum or stainless (or chrome if you can find it) corner brackets. make a trip to home depot and see what they have. it sould give you an idea. they probably only have f.r.p. in white but i'm pretty sure they can get it in black. the end result will be similar to a mesa road ready. good luck.

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I've never heard of Tolex. What is it?

I've heard of FRG (Fiber reinforced Glass-Pexiglass). Is FRP Fiber Reinforced Plastic?

5. Tolex is the brand name for a type of leathercloth, fabric backed, embossed plastic fronted.

Looks good in the showroom, but not that durable. Normally you need to buy a cover or a road case if you want to keep it looking good.

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i think it's fiberglass reinforced pannel. people just call it frp pannel. it's the stuff they put on bathroom walls in comercial buildings. it is textured and about 1/8" thick. comes in 4'x8' sheets. very scratch resistant and totally waterproof.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh-Man.. That "Rhino" stuff or whatever it is - that stuff they spray on - is WAY-tough!

Joe