1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planning on buying my first bass.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mija, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Mija

Mija

Apr 21, 2006
    I've been told that it might be very difficult for me though. I'm 4'9"...shorter arms, very small hands. I don't have any specific aspirations, I just want to have fun with it. I don't want to be disappointed though and find that I'm just too small. What does anyone think? Your input is appreciated.

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I recommend that you have a go.

Bass guitars can be setup in a way that's very playable.

3. Mija

Mija

Apr 21, 2006
    Cool. I really want to play. I just figured I'd ask some people with experience. Thanks a lot.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    No prob's.

have fun.

5. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    Hey Mija. Great to hear you're interested. I too have smaller than average hands, but it's never been a problem. When I started I learned on a short scale Fender Mustang. They have a great sound and a short neck. I still have it as well as a short scale Hofner knockoff. (I also have a Fender Jazz (regular scale-narrow neck) and a Fender Precision. If you have the drive and the commitment, you'll be a great player!

6. Mija

Mija

Apr 21, 2006
    Sweet! Sounds good,

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    mija,
    good luck. if you need some suggestions for a first bass i would go with the epiphone eb-o copy or the gretsch electromatic. they are short scale affordable basses that you will really like.

8. Mija

Mija

Apr 21, 2006
    So does that mean I should go for a four string and not a five?

9. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    up to you but i can only play 4 string so.........i would definatley start short scale though.

10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I'm not sure about the Epiphone EB-O. I recently ordered one and had some problems. So I sent it back. I was under the impression that it would be at least somewhat like the original Gibson EB-O. I have a 1963 Gibson EB-O. But the Epi had serious intonation problems. Plus, the headstock is way wider and heavier than a Gibson. Even if it had sounded good, it would have been awkward to play (at least for me). The neck kept sliding to the floor. The Gibson doesn't have that problem at all. The guy I talked to at MusiciansFriend said they had had a lot of problems with Epiphone since the factory was moved from Korea to China. So that may have been the problem. I wasn't even aware that the factory had been moved.

11. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    When you get better a five string might actually help you, as you can avoid big stretches by moving across strings. However in the short term the extra physical size and weight could be a problem, so a 4 is probably more approachable.

You may have problems finding a short scale (32") - it's definatly the way to go, but they're not that common. You can get the same effect by sticking a cappo on a regular bass at the second fret, and then re-tuning it (also you can cheat and put the capo even higher until you get used to the stretch!). It's probably easiest to round up a cheap (begged/borrowed) regular scale bass and just try it out.

Ian

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

1. Congrats
    2. You are not to small
    3. many choices
    4. An old Guild would probably fit well
    5. Have fun

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

13. Mija

Mija

Apr 21, 2006
    Thanks again everyone for the info.

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    rocker,
    cool thanks for the info. i didnt know they moved the factory either. i had played one a few weeks ago and it felt ok but not great. i thought it was just me.

15. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    Mija, I'm 5'2", my hands are not huge. I started playing full-scale bass a few months ago, and after a couple of weeks of shoulder/arm/hand pain all is well. I'm a horrible player, but that has more to do with complete and utter lack of talent than with the size of my hands.
    Playing an instrument you love the sound of is fun and addictive. Find one you like the feel of and have lots of fun!

16. Hi Mija,
    Consider RondoMusic: http://www.rondomusic.net/index.html
    They have several short scale basses at good prices.
    Quality is better than many other low end instruments out
    there and service is really good.

Cheers,
    Douglas
    Texas

17. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    +1 on the shortscale basses from Rondo. I'm small handed, and I love my SX SJB-62 30" scale. And at $110, you can't beat the price.

good luck!
    Chas