1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Planning on getting a Low End Jazz!! Your thoughts please!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by line6bassist, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Last couple of weeks i've been gassing for a Low End Jazz.. Was planning on getting another Sadowsky. But i've been hearing many great things about LEJ lately and for slightly lower price than a Sadowsky NYC..depending on what options of course!!:D. Plus i heard there service is one of the best.. Would really like to hear some feedback from my fellow TB'ers of your thoughts on LEJ's either postive and negative......thanks :help:

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Brian is a great guy to work with.
    Their stuff is nice.

The ones I've played didn't do it for me in regards to grabbing that Jazz Bass on steroids like Sadowsky does. Nor did it really nail the more vintage-y vibe of an Alleva Coppolo.
    Maybe it was just those particular ones I played with what ever options the owners got on them. Dunno.

They fall in that area of WAY better than anything Fender puts out, but doesn't quite have the mystique that a Sadowsky has.

They are great active Jazz basses.
    But there are other great active Jazz basses as well.

A Sadowsky seems to have that "always works" thing nailed.
    Now, maybe the LEJ does as well, but there isn't enough out there to where it's spoke of in revered tones yet like a old Fender or Sadowsky.
    Sure the fan boys will praise them, as will any fan boy of a particular brand, but in the grand reality of our bass world, that market is full of great basses. And LEJ has yet to really stand out of that crowd.

Now, all that being said, they are great basses and there is something going on with them in a serious way. More guys are getting turned on to them and I think the LACK of them you see up for sale used, is a testament to how good they are.

Time will tell where they will end up when spoken about in bass circles outside of TB.

Plus, along with Alleva Coppolo, they qualify for the ugly headstock award! :D

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You know you just need to get another Sadowsky :) The others are nice but really, there isn't a sweeter bass in my mind right now than a Sadowsky.

4. I think it's Justin Timberlake Bassist that uses a Low End Jazz. Low End Jazzes seem great, I've heard many good things about them. But I've heard an equal amount of good things about Sadowsky, service being there too. I've yet to hear someone complain about Sadowsky service.

5. I know where you score a Moon Jazz bass for a good price. It's super nice. Nearby store. PM if interested.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If Chris Benavente is still building them for Brian... I'd go for it! Chris carves up a killer neck!

Beyond what's mentioned, check out Nino Valenti's stuff... I've A/Bed a few against Sadowskys and mostly preferred the Valenti stuff. (not more than my 2 Benaventes though!)

7. Hey thanks Mike!!!

some good info...i agree on the sadowsky tone...it just nailes it every time:)

+1 on the alleva coppolo headstock :bag:

8. yup! maybe your right SteveC......either direction im going.. that seafoam green color is defintely my first option;)

9. Won't work for metal. At least I haven't heard anyone say that they do.

10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    sent you a PM

11. Why would you do such a thing? You know you could get eleventy SX basses fo that price.

12. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Beats me why anyone buys these copies... get a Fender!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    (in my case)

Is Fender making 1951 slab styled fretless 6 string basses now?

14. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I think I'm going to have to agree with your signature on this one.

15. They are NOT, nor should they! :p

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Fit, finish, and consistent weight and quality control are usually why people opt for boutique jazzes over Fenders- you can play 10 different MIA Jazzes in one store and there will likely be a fair range in quality. You can also usually get finishing options not available by Fender unless you go through their custom shop, which costs just as much if not more than a lot of the boutique makers. I'm not much of a jazz or P guy, but I've played a lot of Fenders as well as a fair amount of Laklands, Valentis, and Sadowskys, and I can definitely see why someone would opt for those over a Fender.

17. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    ..aaah, my fiend, I can see you've never tried one!

For the kind of luxury Sadowsky offers, $1500 used isn't alot to pay,
    Besides,they look kinda the same,but they are COMPLETELY different animals under the hood.
    a preamp,different controls,noiseless pickups..better hardware..
    that's why they're cool! they look like a vintage fender.but it's really a HOTROD in disguise!
    Get a Sadowsky ! resale is wayy better.

18. LEJ fan boy here :)

All three (LEJ/Alleva Coppolo/Sadowsky) are different animals. I've owned 2 ACs and currently own 2 LEJs. I've tried a few Sadowskys and agree they do a fantastic jazz bass on steriods. As a matter of fact, if you want a pure modern jazz bass to play a variety of genres, you can't go wrong. Then again, if you already own a Sadowsky, you probably know that. Do you want a second one? If so, decision made.

The AC's for me, were blessed with the vintage vibe and cursed by it. If all you've ever wanted is a 60s or 70s bass, they are a great option.

The great strength of the LEJs is versatility for me. You can get a broader ranger of options built in to your specs and if you know what you want, the outcome can be fantastic. They are a jazz design but many of the tones I can use are a step or two removed from standard or modern jazz bass tones. Many people comment that my tone is closer to an active Pbass at times. I also play a hollowbody LEJ primarily, which really doesn't aim for anything near Sadowsky or AC jazz. I guess I'm saying that such things are possible with an LEJ build and that has to be viewed as a good thing.

Obviously, if you play a Sadowsky and pick up an LEJ and want it to sound like a Sadowsky, you might be disappointed ;) I had a similar problem with my ACs - I found myself wanting them to sound like an LEJ.

With reference to metal music, I've jammed with a couple of bands playing Isis/Tool-esque stuff on a LEJ 5er. Believe me, just because Jason Newsead doesn't endorse LEJ, it doesn't mean that one of these with single coils wouldn't rip in a metal band.

Sadowsky and Alleva are the big fish in this pond. Thats well deserved. I personally prefer LEJ. It probably makes me a fan boy but I still spent my own money on these basses and am happy. Hopefully the feedback is therefore useful :)

19. You would never see me play metal with a Sadowsky too. Jason Newsted did it, but his tone was far from awesome IMO, it was ok. About the only genre I find them not fitting though.

20. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I sent the OP a PM about this, so what the heck - why not make it public......give me moment while I put on my flame proof suit.......OK, I got my suit on........Sadowsky just never floated my boat. Maybe it was the fact that I had a Metro and not a USA model, maybe it was the fact that I had a "BAD" Metro, maybe it was the fact that I am used to rosewood and this guy was maple????? I dunno, all I know is that of all of the "high-end/boutique" basses I have owned/tried, my Sadowsky was by far the worst bass out of the bunch. First off, I really disliked the neck.....the glossy finish, the chunky profile, the relatively flat fret board.....the whole thing just didn't work for me, especially the chunky neck/flat fret board combo. To top it off, I thought the "sound" of the bass was absolutely horrid.....it was thin, mid-rangey, absolutely no girth or warmth. I was able to remedy this with an Aguilar OBP3 and a pair of Big Singles. However, the neck issue was too much of a deal breaker for me so I sold the bass. IMO/E, if a bass has an uncomfortable neck - game over!!

To me, the neck is why the LEJ shines brighter than the Sadowsky. The LEJ still has little bit of chunk to it and a relatively flat fret board. However, it is waaaaay more comfortable than the Sadowsky. Also, the stain feel of the LEJ is a nice touch. Although, I really think Lakland has the best neck in the biz. I also think the LEJ is better sounding then the Sadowsky. However, the LEJ preamp isnt my favorite.....if I get to keep my LEJ, I am going to try a Glockenklang pre. All in all, if I had to choose between Sadowsky and LEJ.....LEJ all the way. If I had to choose between Lakland, LEJ, and Sadowsky.......ummmmm' Lakland:p Never tried an Alleva so I cant comment about them.