Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Planning on getting a summer job.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jun 16, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Alright, I'm 17, and am low on cash. Schools out and I've got nothing to do for summer. So what do I do? Plan on getting a job... only problem is I don't know exactly how to do this. :eyebrow:

Anyone suggest some places to work? I don't drive (yet, should have my permit soon and then my license around april :bawl: ) but I'm guessing my parents will help me with issues like that. If not, theres a few stores around here, a Quizno's, Starbucks, Jack in the Box, Albertsons, etc., that are within biking distance.

2. that being quoted, i'd suggest somewhere in walking distance or biking distance, unless you've got really nice parents (or parents who don't go anywhere). Trust me, your parents will not help you with getting to work everyday.

but of the list, i'd say quiznos would be good (i like their subs...mmmm...toasted) or starbucks would be good, their prices are really high, so maybe the pay is pretty good?

well, good luck with your job search,
    Charlie

3. I too, am 17 and need a job. I have no clue where to go though, not to mention I'm in debt to my parents about 500 bucks :meh:

4. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Is there a ice cream or dessert place around you?

Hear me out here...

The times Ive gone into an ice cream store, Ive noticed all the customers are really nice. Lots of these jobs posted above are notorious in their moderate to high 'bitchy customer' percentage.

Then, most of us have done this crap when we were in our late teens, and you just deal with it.

something else

Think about the hours you can and cant work too. What ever late/early hours the store is open, plus the hours used for shipments, cleaning etc. is when your boss will ask you to work, regardless of what is said at the beginning of hiring. You turn your boss down, and your boss may put you on the crap list. If you have some concrete limits on when you can work, you might want to look for a place that is not open during those hours. Late/early hours suck, and you as a temporary worker will be top on the list to take those crap hours.

my $0.02

5. oh yeah, one more thing,
    this is pretty risky, but if it works, its really great.
    look for work with a friend. If you both get a job at the same place, you can carpool, or something like that. its risky because your friend may end up getting the job over you, which would be bad. My friend and I got a job at the same place, and it was fun because you can work with someone you know.
    or at the very least, look for work where you know someone would already works there.
    thats if you are picky though...if you are like me, i just applied to everywhere i could (whether they were hiring or not!) and updated my application at least once a week, until i bothered them enough for one place to hire me!
    that should work for you pretty well too.

Charlie

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Look; i know i look good, but there's no need to drool.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Camp counselor could be a decent job. Since you'll be living on camp, there'll be no need to commute. You'll eat 3 squares a day, and you'll get some time away from the parents and get paid. You might even find aspects of the job enjoyable: outdoor activities, nature, cute kids, counselors of the opposite sex, yada, yada. It might not work for you, but it's a thought.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Chances are, you are not going to be able to easily find a job this summer. All of the summer jobs have been taken by the kids who applied in spring, which is what you are supposed to do. Good luck, but I doubt you will have any real chances of getting a job this summer.

9. Out of those choices near your place. I would suggest the Starbucks.

Just try as hard as you can not to get morning hours. And then about after lunch, it won't nearly be as busy as in the morning.

But honestly, I wouldn't want to work in a place with customer ineteraction. I like working in a closed kitchen. You can swear all you want, you can get away with belching, farting, spitting, ect. And you don't have to look presentable.

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    My recommendation is to NOT work in the food industry. Most likely because you're a kid and just looking for a summer job, they'll stick you in the kitchen or make you do busboy duties. I really hated when I worked in a restaurant, washing dirty dishes in a hot kitchen, taking out the garbage, 'shelling' shrimp and doing all the disgusting stuff that no one else wants to do, all for crap pay.
    But that was just my experience... :meh: Out of the places you mentioned, I would do Starbucks or Albertsons.

11. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    get your license and deliver pies, good money and works not bad.

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Dude...whatever you do...

DON'T WORK AT A CORPORATION.

I really mean this. I'm not really against corporations or anything, but the way they treat their employees is bad. I just got a job at Giant (grocery market chain on the east coast) and the pay is terrible. It's $5.50 (minimum wage). At first I thought "Hmmm this ain't too bad". I'll make over $20 every 4 hour shift. BUT...the taxes taken out are ridicoulous, not to mention the union fees ($8 every week taken, and an additional $7 from the first 7 weeks). Yeah so right now, with taking out taxes and union fees I'm making $3.50 an hour. It sucks. Work at a small mom and pop store. The only thing keeping me at Giant is the other nice employees, the laziness to find another job, and seeing alot of my friends go to get food.

done...

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Oh yeah I highly reccomend working at a camp. Crappy pay but it's a steady job with hours you can get used to...and it seems FUN. But most camps are probably full with counselors now. Good luck.

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Uhhh... You make some valid points, but I've got to say that "Mom and Pop" places take taxes out of your check just like any "big corporation" does... Also, plenty of people pay union dues without working for a corporation.

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I got offered a job this summer to go on field trips with middle schoolers for $9.00. I turned it down. I can not work with those children, they all have major attitudes. I honestly think their parents don't whack them around enough.

16. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I forgot to mention the other places here. Hm... theres also a Subway, and a Baskin Robins. Did I mention Burger King? Uhm... couple donut shops, a 7-11 (doubt I'd be working here), I think a Sears?

I don't know why, but I think I have a phobia of getting applications. (Or I'm lazy. :help: )

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    And thats the problem with unemployment in America. Get off your lazy rear and get those freaking applications.

18. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! *wipes a tear*

wow, i needed that, thanks :rolleyes:

19. Dear Lazy Teenager

get off your bumm and go apply at every place that will let you apply and do it Tomorrow not on monday.

Here is a good way to motivate yourself. Tonight ask your parents to let you sleep in the car. Only thing you can bring with you are the cloths on your back. If you want, put on a jacket and use it as a pillow but no blanket. When you wake up tomorrow consider how much it sucked, and realize that 30% of the population of the united states would be doing that every night within two months of lossing their job.

17 and doesn't know how to look for a job! AAAhhhhhhh!

20. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Even if you're just going to pick up an application, dress somewhat decent. Employers don't like slobs.