1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Planning on going on tour. Don't have much money. I need an amp. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richiekiel, Apr 21, 2010.

1. richiekiel

richiekiel

Apr 21, 2010
    It will be a month long tour of various churches and other mid sized venues. I need quality but I also only have a couple hundred bucks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Superreverb

Superreverb

Mar 29, 2010
    Two words: "Promoter provides."

:D

3. A couple hundred bucks? I might take flak for this, but check out Acoustic.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    don't be silly.
    i suggest you get the biggest used peavey combo you can find (acoustic isn't a bad suggestion either) that isn't
    completely thrashed.
    it should turn on every night, at least.
    or, you could just get a di box, and 100 cups of coffee...

5. llatikcuf

llatikcuf

Aug 24, 2007
    Sitting in the mix well
    A few years back I talked with a guy from a NZ band touring the U.S (churches and medium venues like you're doing). He decided to sell his amp back home and just did the tour with a Bass Pod since everywhere they were going to play would have monitors and PA.

6. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I would suggest craigslist. There are usually bigger combos (like the Peavey ones mentioned above) and even smaller half stacks in your price range...plus you can always haggle

7. +1 to all of that. My $200 Acoustic head and Craigslist Peavey BW cab have been working perfectly and sounding great for over a year now.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

peavey combo or MXR M-80 direct to the board

9. Magni629

Magni629

Apr 18, 2010
    With a small combo, you'd essentially be just DIing it to the venue's board and maybe getting some use out of the speakers in it as a monitor. In my experience, you'd be better off just spending $80-$100 on a SansAmp BDDI or the aforementioned MXR M-80 and save having to lug a combo entirely.

The caveat: if there are no spare DIs in the venues, you're doomed. Have your manager confirm with the venues that you're good to go DI, and you can literally get away with having your entire rig in your bass case.

10. i agree. also hit up eBay, craigslist, pawn shops, and flea markets.

11. Zegie

Zegie

Dec 8, 2009
    UK South East
  12. richiekiel

richiekiel

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks everyone I ended up getting a Fender rumble 100.