Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Planning on my next bass: Warmoth!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Oct 11, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey guys, whats going.. I will be selling my Zon Sonus 5 Special soon... I will be building a Warmoth bass (hopefully with some help from the one and only Nino) :D.. but yes... I need your opinions to see how this bass might be :) Here are the specs that I am planning to have

Body: Fender Jazz (Solid Fiesta Red) Style
    Neck: Fender Precision Style
    Tuners: Hipshot Ultralites (maybe)
    Body Wood: Soft Maple
    Neck Wood: Maple
    Fingerboard: Birdseye Maple
    Pickups: Bartolini Soaps (J Style) and a P using JPJ setup
    Preamp: Bartolini NTBT
    Bridge: Badass Bridge 2
    3 Way Mini Toggle Pickup Selector: J+P, J+J, P+J

The 3 way mini toggle pickup selector will make the bass VERY versatile.. Thanks to Peter McFerrin, He told me that the NTBT will have a panning pot.. so, if you use the pickup selector and use the different switches, and then mess with the panning pot, u will get a full J.. full P.. or a blend of them.. which is kinda cool, it makes the bass that much more versatile.

And with the woods of the bass, I got this idea from the one and only "Pedulla Rapture J2", which is made out of those woods..

Any suggestions or comments, please post! Thanks

DM

2. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I think Bart quad-coil soaps would work better, since with J+P+J either the neck J or the P would have to be moved from it's stock spot to fit them all. It won't really sound like either a P or a J... but as long as you're in that spot with quad-coils you could do J+P, J+J, P+J, or P+P, more or less.

Oh, and I don't think we have any western soft maple for bodies (unless you want a mega-expensive solid quilt maple bass!) - it's all the eastern hard maple we use for necks - heavy and bright. Sort of ironic, because western soft maple grows in our neck of the woods, and eastern hard maple grows in Pedulla's neck of the woods!

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brian.. thanks for the reply... ooh.... i never knew you had to move the pickups from the stock spot.. how much do you have to actually move it?

Whats the "Maple" bodies i see on the options.. isit just the Eastern Maple? how would the sound change.... and I guess it would be heavier.. hmm... any woods i can use to get it close to sound like a Pedulla?

Thanks

4. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    All that maple is gonna make for a "trebly" bass! Rock On

Good luck. I'm in the planning stages of making a jazz bass too. 'cept I'm gonna be getting the body and neck for USA custom guitars.

5. All maple bass.

Woof.

Keep us posted DM, sounds like you've got a hell of a plan. Bring it.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Won't an all maple bass be incredibly heavy? I always understood maple to be a very heavy wood. That's why you see a lot of maple tops, to get the maple sound without the weight.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've had the chance to play with the Stu Hamm Urge bass, which has the jpj setup like you describe... i don't think the urge has the versatility that you are planning, but I did like playing with the pups in that config.... I have even thought about slapping a p pup into my geddy lee in the same config! I think what you have planned will work out great!

P@

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Seems to me the top (neck-most) coil of a P pickup falls right where the J normally is (or pretty close.) That means if you put the P right between the stock J positions it will sound brighter than stock, and if you move the neck J up and leave the P, it will sound warmer and deeper than stock. Seems to me the Urge does the former, moving the P toward the bridge a bit.

I did some checking and it seems I was a bit off on the Pedulla - they use eastern soft maple, which is botanically different but similar in density and sound to western soft maple.

Rickenbackers are usually made of eastern hard maple, which is very heavy and bright-sounding. They'd be heavier, but their bodies are only 1 1/4" thick as opposed to 1 3/4" like Fender bodies.

Western and eastern soft maples are bright, but warmer, lighter, and more resonant than hard maple.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Have you guys played the Pedulla Rapture J2? that thing is light as a feather.. then agian, the body size is alot smaller....

Brian: I really like that idea of moving the pickups a bit to get a warmer and deeper sound. So what do u think i should do about the body wood?

DM

10. Good call on the Fiesta Red. That's what I did for my Warmoth, and it looks great.
    I was also thinking about doing the JPJ configuration for my next project. I also didn't realize it wouldn't work with the standard placements. If I were you, I think I'd move the neck J close to the neck, rather than move the P.

Good luck on your project. Sounds nice!

Kenan

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yah.. im in love with Fiesta Reds..