1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Planning on removing some gas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DRN-PWNS, Mar 29, 2009.

1. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    well the other day i went to my local guitar shop, their not actually local but a short drive away, they usually have prices that beat most online retailers, well with the fender price raise they have to now sell an American standerd jazz for $1700(cad), after playing said bass i fell in love but i do not have $1700(Cad) to spend on a bass at the moment so i planned a warmoth build that comes out significantly lower and in my opinion has a better spec. I will post the plan below tell me if I'm missing anything or if there is anything better in the same price range.

Attached Files:

• Part.txt
      File size:
      478 bytes
      Views:
  2. There are MUCH better deals to be had than a fender

3. Part
    Make and model
    Price
    Body
    Warmoth j-bass body (alder)
    $ 185
    Neck
    Warmoth j-neck birds eye maple with wenge finger board
    $251
    Neck plate
    “F” chrome
    $18.00
    Bridge
    Gotoh 201, 4 String Bass Bridge, Chrome
    $32.00
    Tuners
    Schaller BML
    $60.00
    String retainer
    Vintage round
    $2.10
    Pick ups
    Seymour Duncan quarter pounders
    $124.50
    Control plate
    j-bass
    $13.50
    Pick guard
    Warmoth tort pickguard
    $34.oo
    Straplocks
    Schaller strap locks
    $13.25
    knobs
    j-bass knobs
    $4.50

Total:
    $737.85

Don't forget the finish applied to the body, and also for the neck (Warmoth won't warranty a neck that isn't hard finished). That stuff can add up if you have it professionally done.

Also you'll need the wiring electronics (pots, output jack, wires, etc).

You might need to cut the nut as well - which would require nut files (expensive).

Also, shipping (& tax, etc). Shipping adds up a lot sometimes - ordering a few Jazz bass knobs for $4 might incur $6 of shipping - so unless doing a bulk order from one place, shipping could be $100 on top of that for everything.

Another thing - many people have said that when they ordered a new neck (from anywhere, Warmoth included), it needed a final fret leveling - so plan on some work needed on the neck. And new necks usually don't have the bolt holes drilled, so you'll want a drill press for that.

If you're planning on finishing the body yourself, then also factor in the cost of all the supplies, etc. If you haven't finished a body before, it's not tough to get it "ok", but it takes a LOT of work/luck/practice to get it looking anything like a factory finish.

4. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    This is weird. It's like you've gone to the Porsche dealership and decided you cant afford a 911, so you start scouring classified for a Mustang to hop up with speed parts. Just start trying out squiers until you find one that souds as good, and then get the neck plekked.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    I think you can get them to cut the nut. Don't forget all the screws (neck, pickguard, pickups etc.) You will also need an input jack, all your wiring and potentiometers. They come in 500k and 250k so make sure you get the right ones. Wouldn't hurt to throw some copper shielding in there too.

Also, unless you get a finished showcase body you need to have it finished (Warmoth will do it) which will cost more.

Lotsa parts to remember!

Keep an eye on Kijiji in Calgary, I see Jazz basses pop up once in a while.

I am pretty close to you, just over in Rocky Ridge. :D

6. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Ive been keeping my eye's on kijiji and craigslist and have not seen anything worth buying. as for electronics and screws, My first bass was a squire P/J set up which has enough screws for this build, right before the body broke i bought all new electronics never wired it up because the body broke. as for shipping everything is coming from warmoth except for the neck plate and a couple of other thinks that i need to get from allparts. as for finish i have a close friend who owns an auto body shop, he has painted several guitars in the past I was very impressed with his work, he told me that he would paint it up for free (with a good intro finish at that) if i advertise for him (logos on amps cases, ect!) i think ill get the nut cut by one of the guitar techs in town.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Definitely go for the warmoth build. Its a very satisfying experience having a bass built the way *you* want. Just swap whatever parts you have over from your squire, then when you have more cash you can upgrade later.

I also bought a graph tech nut online and it fit my warmoth j neck perfectly. No cutting required.

8. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Cool! sounds like you are a good candidate for a build then!

What kind of finish are you going for?

I have been thinking about Warmoth as I really like the sound of a Jazz but vastly prefer a P neck. Also I have heard they are really solid.

Kinda silly how expensive Fenders have gotten :scowl:

9. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    i'm going for a finish very similar to fenders "candy coke red"

10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Nice! They have a jazz with that combo (candy cola and maple) at crowfoot guitarworks.

11. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    I do believe that that was the bass i played. I loved that until i got slammed iwth the $1700 for it

12. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    any other suggestions?

13. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    +1 . . . and save yourself a lot of trouble.

14. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    ^^ but for what i have to spend that really defeats the purpose i would much rather have a high-quality warmoth then another squier. This way i get everything done the way i want it to be were as with the squier no matter what i do to it it's still just a squier.