1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planning Stages

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gabeja15, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Hey guys, I'm relatively new here and being overseas without a bass for the last four some-odd months has me a bit stir crazy. So, I've been laying out the plans for a new project which i can hopefully begin on my return in a month and a half should money decide to finally grace me with its presence.

Now technically this is my first build of any sorts, but i'm pretty skilled at woodwork, have more then enough equipment at my disposal, and have done enough tinkering with my Frankenstein project guitar to have already made almost any mistake possible.

So I turn to the infinite resources of Talkbass to go over my design and firm up the plans.

since this is a first project I'm going to keep it simple, which is great, because i love simple.

-51' slab body P-bass in Black Limba
    I can make this myself, pretty straight forward, no body
    contours etc.
    -Black elephant ear tuners and barrel knobs from guitarfetish
    -Black single string economy bridges from Allparts
    Anyone know if these are decent, they sure look cool but
    i would rather just put a badass on it then take a
    gamble
    -51' style single coil
    Some recommendations on this one would be helpful,
    although i've heard good things about Lindy Fralin's
    -And lastly my one problem spot, the neck. The route i am going now is with an Allparts tele bass style neck, which I know is quality and cheap, but doesn't match. I plan on laminate the face of the headstock with a matching Korina veneer, but with a full dark exotic wood bass and black hardware, a bright maple neck is going to look awful. The warmoth route is far too expensive; with my fingers crossed i think i can get all of the parts, wood, and materials for under $550 total. And i don't have nearly enough clamps or courage to attempt making a neck at this stage in the game. Maybe a stain of some kind for the neck considering it's raw?

Any help would be very much appreciated, and if I ever getting around to building the thing, you guys will be the first to see (and if anyone here is a little more savvy then I am in photoshop, a mock up would be very cool)

2. anyone?

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Really?

I have done enough building to restore a house and a Mustang and I am still finding new mistakes to make.

As for parts - you get what you pay for.

For the neck - get what you want. You will regret cheaping out on one part and the neck is pretty important.