Planning to buy Yorkville XS400 and 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Sep 20, 2004.

1. I played through a Yorkville combo that sounded great, the XS400 has gotten favorable reviews and it's powerful, cheap, and has a tube preamp, and the Yorkville 210 is a powerful, portable cab. I'm planning to buy this setup with these things in mind:

1. I'm 17, don't have large sums of money
    2. I like the Ampeg tube sound
    3. Need portability (low weight + compact)
    4. Don't need TOO much wattage.

An SVT setup is ideal, but I don't have the money. Plus, I won't enjoy lugging that stuff around. A 4x10+ is too large for me, and I like 10 inch speakers at this point.

All in all, how does it look for me? Anyone play through that exact setup? Worth getting? Anything else? It's a major purchase for me because I don't work many hours and have to go to school during the week. I don't want to regret buying it down the line. Thanks in advance.
  2. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    that setup sounds perfect for you. it should get you through anything high school will throw at you. actually i'm considering a similar yorkville setup for around the house and small gigs. i'm thinking about the xs200 combo, but if i were you and it was going to be my only rig i'd go the cab and head route. you can always add another cab down the road if you need it.(hell i know gigging bass players that don't have that nice of a rig. scary huh?)
  3. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    yorkville is good stuff!! got a xm200! love it! :cool:
  4. I would try out the 1x15 version before, i personlly found it alot nicer sounding than the 2x10....but the 2x10 is still great.
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I like the way the Yorkville head's drive control works. I recently picked up an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and am still sorting out the tone.

The way the Yorkville tube drive works seems a lot more intuitive to me than the way the Ampeg's tube gain works.

The Ampeg does have the EQ + Gain which makes it easy to grab a totally different tone via the footswitch.

They are both very similar in terms of power and (at least if my sonic memory serves me correctly) tone.
  6. Cool, I went to my local shop but they recently sold the head they had in stock. Meanwhile, I played through the XS400 combo (which has an accompanying 1x15 speaker). Great warm tone, but I'm not a fan of the 1x15. I think I'll have to try the 2x10 because I was lacking a lot of punch. However I like having low end, and my current combo is a 1x12... does Yorkville even offer a 2x12, and would it add a little low end?

Another question, what does the dry/wet gain setting do anyways? It seems to get really distorted as I switch towards wet, but I'd like some more specific info as well.
  7. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I have an xs400H with an xc410, which I really love. The way I use the overdrive is I first set the wet dry control full C.W (wet) then adjust the drive gain to the amount that I want then adjust the wet/dry control for the blend of clean (dry) and wet (overdrive). I usually like a little overdrive in the background by having the wet/dry control at 9 to 10 o’clock and the overdrive gain at 2 o’clock. I hope that helps.:D

May I also recommend the XS400T, a great combo, great bottom end with a great mid definition and can really cut through, if you get a chance listen to one.
  8. Thanks for that tip, I'll have to give it a shot when I get to play it again. The XS400T seems like just what I need, although I'd probably prefer the versatility and portability of the 2 as separate pieces.
  9. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    i am the owner of an xs400h...i love the 4x10 cab is a heavily heavily used peice of equipment..that i bought for 100 im sure it would sound alot better with a new cab.but im broke and saving for university which ill be attending next september (hopefully ill get into western or waterloo)...
    when the time does going to sell my cab for atleast 200 canadian..than with a little extra a 2 x 10 cabinet so atleast ill have something..
    i hope my roommates...and the rest of the people in the builing in my residence wont mind me
  10. Well, I went to another shop today, which happened to have the XS400T (2x10 speakers), and boy was it amazing. Very very good sound, wide range of tones. I really liked the overall sound, very clear and rich. Never did the bass sound congested or hi-fi, even when I cranked up the gain. I even tried out a Sansamp BDDI with it towards the end. As close to tone-heaven as I'll get for a long time. They had the XS400H downstairs and sometime soon I think I'll bring my bass and actually set-up the head with its cab. Great sound!

BTW, this thing must be light as heck! The XS800H was there and it was extremely light (30 pounds at most). I can only imagine the XS400H is lighter. Sweet considering I tried lifting an SVT-CL for the hell of it (wasn't happening :D).

Quick question though: The Yorkie 2x10 cab is the cheapest, has a good warranty, and sounds great. However, is there another cheap 2x10 that would fit the bill better? For example, I saw an Ampeg Classic Series 2x10 for 50 bucks more, and Hartke 2x10s around the same price. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend more than around 50$ extra for that different cab, unless it's much better.
  11. actually the xs400h head is heavier than the xs800h!!

as for the cabs i would just stick with the yorkie cabs, if not go with avatar i they actually use the same speakers but the head will look alot cooler over yorkie cabs.

i think a really cool setup would be the xs800h and the xc808 cab its a 8x8 cab. if not the yorkie 4x10 and 2x10 would also kick some serious ass!
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The only thing to remember is that except for the new 8x8 and the 1510 all the Yorkville cabs are 8ohm. Just a fact to keep in mind if you're looking for a one cab solution. The XS400H only goes down to 4ohms.

I've been hoping to see that XS800H. Nobody seems to have one in stock around York Region yet.
  13. Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    I beleive the Arts in Newmarket has one, unless it was sold already...
  14. So wait, is it still useable? I can still plug the 4 Ohm head into the 8 Ohm cab can't I? Won't I just lose power or something?
  15. Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    Oh Ya, you can have two 8 ohm cabs if you wish, a 1X15 and 2X10" for example, where as the XS800H will go down to 2 ohms which means three 8 ohm cabs or two 4 ohm cabinets such as the xc808 and the ybx1510. :p
  16. Ahh, but can I have just one 8 ohm cab with the 4 ohm head? Or do I definitely need 2 cabs?
  17. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    That all depends on what you want, with the xs400h the output power will be 250 watts into 8 ohms and 400 watts + into 4 ohms (two 8 ohm cabinets). Depending on your needs and your cash flow an 8 ohm cabinet is loud and two of them would be little louder and a little fuller. If you don’t have the cash get a 210 or a 15” cabinet for now and in the future if you want to go the two cabinet route trade the one you started with for a ybx1510 (2X10" +1X15") or an xc808(8X8").I use the xc410 and it is loud enough although the xc808 is real sweet but that will be when I get the xs800H. :smug:
  18. Well, 250 watts is more than enough for now, and the 2x10 cab can apparently only handle 300 watts on its own anyways. I'm probably gonna add another cab a year or so from now to bring it to its full potential. Basically, as long as it's better sounding and stronger than what I have, and I won't blow anything, I'll have to opt for 1 cab for now.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. In a few weeks I'll have enough to buy the entire rig, and I'll be sure to post reviews if I do!
  19. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Good luck man....:D
  20. One new thing caught my eye today. A used SWR Workingman 2x10 cab was at another local shop today. Selling 300 CDN used, tax included, I could easily save 200-250 bucks by buying this instead of the Yorkville 2x10. Any impressions compared to the Yorkie? I think I'll buy the head right away and try different cabs with it.