1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Planning to move out; overwhelmed (Tucson --> NYC)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WyrmDL, Sep 28, 2009.

1. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Hey TB,

I respect your opinion, and you guys are way more experienced than me in life.

I've decided I want to move by next summer, and I'm really, really wanting to try Manhattan. If not NYC, then Minneapolis. However, I don't know anything of the process, or what I'd have to do, and etc. How do I pay all those bills, food, transportation, and on top of that, school? (Financial aid will definitely help)

Tucson is rather a bland city. Manhattan seems to be one of chaos in comparison. I think it just might be a demanding transition...

What are some of your words of wisdom? I want to know everything about this transition, and about all the responsibilities I will have to carry. What do I need to do in order to succeed?

Thanks TB!

-Don Nguyen

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Living in Manhattan is going to be a serious investment.

I think you'd be better off in Minneapolis. Your dollar will go much farther there.

3. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

If you want to move to Manhattan, you better know how you're going to be earning a living ahead of time.

4. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    I only plan on living there for about a year, and only if an apartment I have in mind can be worked out (fairly inexpensive, especially for Manhattan).

Even then though, money is still the issue for me, and I don't know how to approach that =/

I could have school taken care of with grants, scholarships, and loans. I probably wouldn't be driving if I lived there. If I can get a hold of that apartment, I won't have to worry as much about rent. Even so, will a young adult like me be able to manage without an excellent salary?

5. Minneapolis and NYC are like night and day when it comes to metropolitan cities. I personally love Minneapolis, but you should definitely spend at least a few days in each before you decide to up and leave. And figure out why you're moving and what you'll do before you leave, don't count on something appearing for you wherever you go.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Heck, we should just trade: I live in Manhattan, and have been thinking of moving to Tucson!

Oh wait, would I have to live with your parents? Nevermind, deal's off...

7. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    My parents aren't too bad. They're a little strict and old fashioned, but nothing too horrendous.

As someone who lives in NYC though, do you have any tips or advice for someone who wants to move there?

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

A friend of mine just left Manhattan as she couldn't find any
    work at all. The job market there is very tough right now,
    a lot of the big financial institutions have laid off lots of people
    and the even menial jobs are very competitive right now.

She had an apartment she shared on the Upper East side and
    she paid 1000 in rent i.e. the apartment was $2000 for a
    2 bedroom flat. Micro kitchen and bath. And that is about the
    cheapest you will find until you get out to the funkier areas
    of Brooklyn. So budget 12-15k for housing there yearly. That
    is a lot of cash.

Groceries are stupidly expensive there. Many people rent
    a car and go up to Westchester or out to the Island once
    a month and do a big shopping there, the savings is worth it.

But the city is lots of fun, for sure.

9. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    As folks have already suggested bring money and expect to leave it here. Manhattan is truly expensive, cheaper rents & bigger apartments are available in upper Manhattan and the outer boroughs. Brooklyn is pretty cool these days and Queens has some limited appeal. Parts of the Bronx can be nice but it can be a schlep to get into Manhattan. You can look through Craig's list and possibly find a room mate situation that's affordable.
    Don't leave any thing up to chance, plan everything. Good Luck.

10. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Everything thor said was spot on. It sounds like you have a hookup for housing, but good luck finding a job. This city's economy is wrapped up in media and banking, and both are taking a dump on themselves and laying people off. That's trickling down. What's your school situation like? I'm just interested as to why you're picking minneapolis and new york, they seem like two pretty disparate decisions.

11. a lot of folks will tell you that nyc has everything,and it does.......but after rent,bills and such you need a decent income to take advantage of any of it.....i've been to some of those funkier parts of brooklyn/bed stuy and it was a tad much for a young guy fresh out of his parents house in arizona

12. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    if your school, and your apartment are taken care of... then i would go for it. public transportation everywhere ($90/mo for a monthly card). any student can find a way to eat cheap. nyc isn't for everyone, but if you have the chance to do it for a year, go for it.

on the other hand, if you need to find a job to make it work for you, then line that up first. you won't live well, but you'll have an experience of a lifetime.

13. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Minneapolis has a school I was looking into, and if I were going to live in NYC for a year, I'd move to MN afterwards anyways. I just want to experience the NY life for a little bit, as harsh as it can be. If 12 months isn't possible, I'd go for 6 months. Just any amount of time there I would appreciate. Heck, if it comes down to 6 months or less, it could just be a slight break from school for me, and then continue when I hit MN (Or is this a terrible idea?).

My major concern then is still a job and money.

14. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I hear you, I was thinking of going to school in Manhattan. Without connections in NYC it is extremely tough to get a foot in. (Unless you are rich and money isn't an issue.) Without some serious help it can be a most overwhelming challenge. The challenge was to great for me, so I decided on school in ABQ NM.

Living + Working + School in Manhattan was too much for me.

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Is this a poem?

16. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

I know the tuition costs, and I'm only moving if I can cover the rent.

However, I know of none of the other costs. What should I expect to pay for what? I'll probably go for public transportation. Then there's food; how much would it be about for a single student to live off of per month? Insurances? Other?

Thanks in advance,

-Don

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

18. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Renter's insurance was 105 per year with Liberty Mutual
    just fyi.

Whatever your groceries cost now, expect to pay 50% more for the same
    items in NYC.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    At least. I was there for a while last year and it was disgustingly expensive. Hardly worth living there IMO.

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    As a life-long new yorker, someone that went to university/lived in the city, and someone that now lives with his parents in suburbia without access to 24 hour pizza/falafel, I roundly disagree, sir. Yeah, it's expensive, but I've been/lived in a bunch of places, and I'd always rather be home.

When I was in school I was in student housing, but even when I was getting totally shafted for groceries, I was paying 30-50 a week in food/toiletries. But that includes nice beer and coffee. I'm sure you could do much better, price-wise, than I did.

When I decided not to move out of my parents' house yet (graduated in may '08, found a job 5 months after that, just don't make enough to comfortably move out), this is the budget I used:

Per Month

Rent/utils/cable: $1500
    Food: $150
    Transportation: $90

Now, depending on your personal flavor: Bars, taxis when you have no idea where you are (that'll happen more than you'll like to admit), shows (don't expect to see broadway shows, but also, the past 4 gigs I've played in the city have been $10 at the door, which is a crime).

This is the land of the $7 bud light if you're not watching out or have an aversion to dives. At one point I was spending like $100 a weekend. And I avoid trendy places with expensive drinks pretty much on principle.

My keyboardist has a crappy apartment in a great neighborhood, lives on a shoe-string and somehow goes out on the weekend; he just has $.35 in his bank account. What I'm saying is: don't expect to come out of this with any savings (you don't appear to be, just wanted to drive that home); this is going to be like a semester abroad, but in your own country.

This city has a feel all of its own. The tradition of new yorkers being ***hats is largely passed (except for Staten Island and the Bronx). Most people will give directions if they can just for the sense of superiority (you mean that's not why you do it?), and if you keep your wits about you and aren't a moron it's moderately safe to wonder around in an altered state of perception. Every now and then I yell at a tour bus or shout an obscenity to "keep that air of danger". You know, let people have their NYC story. They probably don't think twice about it. Ingrates.

I work here, rehearse here, play here, go out here, spend 3/4 of my life in the city and 1/5 of it on the LIRR going back and forth and, frankly, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else on earth.

So I say go for it. Do NYC for 6months to a year and get your kicks in. Keep in touch and use the search feature, I know that I've contributed to many threads along the lines of "weekend in NYC, what to do?" so check that out. Also, once you do move, bring this thread back from the dead if you have questions/need advice.