Plannnig and promoting music festival... need advice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Have any of you ever been involved in the promotion, planning, hosting, vendor, sponsorship, venue allocation and other assorted aspects of putting together a music festival?

Another local band leader (zep trib band) and I (KISS trib band) came up with the idea of putting on a mock rock kinda trib band festival with three or four headliners, including ourselves and other iconic trib bands of that era. Varying enough to draw a wide audience, but similar enough that people would probably dig all the bands involved - so sticking to classic 70's rock as a basic format.

Anyway, I'm looking for sort of a model template precedent to draw inspiration from. I've heard of some events like this but I'm having some trouble tracking them down online. Any thoughts from you band management types on this would be helpful.

I'm a pretty savvy business guy with some promotions and ad sales experience, but this isn't the kind of thing I've done before. If we do well with this in our test market (Tulsa, OK) we'll look at touring it to other midsize cities and involve other local trib bands.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You may want to start with the location and determine whether any local/regional/fire permits are required. This could dictate how many people can be at the gathering and where.

I'd also poke around for insurance costs. This could be $$$.
  3. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Insurance costs a bitch unless you get the person who owns the property to say "It's on my plan, it's all good" or get people as they walk in to sign waivers. Not many people enjoy that, but its a way around it.
  4. The band I am in , The Walnut Grove Band, puts on a few camping festivals in the summer in Gore, VA. SoundQuilt Festival.
    We have about 25 bands over two nights and we play too. I have only jammed with this band for 3 weeks, so I have yet to see what it is like. But he opened an account on here--Walnutt--and you could email him.

He said that after 4 years, he cut even last year after losing money all those other years. It's tough. But he got about 300 people out there, which is tough when it is all local regional bands playing with no big name to draw in other people.