Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plans for a amp rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boom boom 4, Sep 3, 2003.

1. I'm a good carpenter and cabinetmaker. I was thinking about building my own carpeted amp rack for my b2r. Any one got plans or where to get them so I can do this? I've found all the necessary hardware and carpet. The case itself I could build without plans really but it's the way the amp bolts up to the rack that has me a little confused. I just don't want to screw into wood.

2. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
  3. It is less weight and cheaper to install wood blocks on either side in place of steel rails.

If the rack is fully populated nobody will see the difference.

Consider framing the rack, then covering it with lighter material than thick plywood. My rack is 79 pounds, and a good deal of this is plywood.

The rack strength comes from the components attached to the rails. Similar to screwing drywall onto flimsy steel studs. When the drywall is snugged down, the whole wall becomes very rigid.

EIA 19" rack standards call for the holes to be 18 5/16" on center. 1RU is 1.750". IMO, it helps to be a bit generous. Missing by 1/8" can be the difference between a rack and firewood.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Plans? Cmon, if I can build one on the fly, someone with cabinet making skills should have no trouble.

Click HERE

5. Is rack rails on the back as well as the front something I should consider ? Or is the front all that is needed?

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo