1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plans for a gibson grabber.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KXH, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KXH

KXH

Apr 5, 2018
    In recent years I switched over to musicman basses.
    But I've always had a weak spot for gibson grabbers.
    I've owned 5 in total but sold them all a few years ago.

I now have the plan to build my own, with the help of a friend who's a luthier. But is there anyone out there who can help me with finding the correct specs/plans?

Maybe vector files even?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Unfortunately I can't offer much help but you might find some info here.

I'm interested to see your progress on this when you get going. I've always liked the Grabber design and I've actually thought that I'd like to build a bass with the Grabber sliding pickup design at some point.

KXH likes this.
  3. KXH

KXH

Apr 5, 2018
    Thank you Zach, I'll look into it :)

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I'm still working off some good karma debt of assistance and even materials donations from people on TB who helped me on my builds. If you can find a high-resolution, reasonably parallax-free photo of a grabber with some known dimensions of parts or scale length for size reference, I can draw you a body plan in Autocad, exported to PDF. I don't have time for a full-blown detail drawing, but could draw enough for body, neck, and headstock templates. I'll be surprised if there isn't one already kicking around somewhere, but if you come up dry, PM me.

Christine likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    TB Search Engine is your friend, check out post #14 of this thread, somebody has already drawn this:
    $100 Bass Challenge - Ripper Style 30"

If you strike out getting this drawing, offer still stands.

6. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Also the link that Zach posted has the patent drawings.

7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I've got plans for the body, i can send them to you. The neck & headstock, i seem to have misplaced. But check out this build page, i got the plans from The OP, maybe he still has them! Best of Luck! Even i built my own if you wanna check that out (although i built twice since my first was way off dimensions)

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  8. KXH

KXH

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks a lot everyone, girlfriend is currently getting chemo, I'll,look into it when I get home