Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plans

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by EricWilson, Jul 28, 2004.

1. EricWilson

EricWilson

Jun 30, 2004
    Ok. Im a noob at this, but since my guitarist told me that i couldn't do it, I'm going to build a bass from scratch. Yes even the neck...(what can i say, I'm a glutton for punishment)
    I have my tools
    I will have my woods in a while (have to use alder,)
    now all I need are plans. if anyone can direct to a source for free ones, cheap ones, ones or help me in designing my own, I would greatly appreciate it. my pride is on the line ;)

thanks a whole lot!

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    all the fun is in doin it yourself!!!

check out some of the books on www.lmii.com

the point of a custom is doin it to specs you want, or changing up a design you know that you already like.

Try taking most of the dimensions off your current bass, then changing up the less critical ones to give it "your" look ( ie, body style, pickup spacing, headstock shape, cut aways )

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    DIY = draw it yourself! Much more fun.

I'd not use alder for the neck, if avoidable. It's a bit too weak. But then again, Carey Nordstrand made a spruce neck, that works... Still not my choice.

4. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I bought the plans for a neck-thru bass designed by Moll Instruments from http://www.mimf.com/ and they are a great resource.
    MIMF recently auctioned off on Ebay a bass built by a collaboration of several luthiers as a fund raiser. These plans were used to design and build that bass. It was beautiful!!

Jon

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i setup my plans in 3D CAD.

works great and is a lot of fun.

after 5 or so years of doing this, i have several bass model databases that have been extremely useful.

recommended.

f

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Pardon the sidebar -

Hey Fred, ever heard of this guy? He does all his complex-curved guitars with CNC, and is offering his shop for outside work. I actually found the site through an ad for SURFCAM.

http://www.jonkammererguitars.com

Obligatory bass content: if you look through the solid-body guitars, there is a bass there, too.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    PJ:

never heard of him. which don't mean sh1t.

interesting design claim:

"As you look through my site, you will see obvious differences like my patented parabolic curved guitars."

[​IMG]

i like what i see.

thanks for the link.

f