Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by EricWilson, Jul 28, 2004.

1. EricWilson

Jun 30, 2004
    Ok. Im a noob at this, but since my guitarist told me that i couldn't do it, I'm going to build a bass from scratch. Yes even the neck...(what can i say, I'm a glutton for punishment)
    I have my tools
    I will have my woods in a while (have to use alder,)
    now all I need are plans. if anyone can direct to a source for free ones, cheap ones, ones or help me in designing my own, I would greatly appreciate it. my pride is on the line ;)

thanks a whole lot!
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    all the fun is in doin it yourself!!!

check out some of the books on

the point of a custom is doin it to specs you want, or changing up a design you know that you already like.

Try taking most of the dimensions off your current bass, then changing up the less critical ones to give it "your" look ( ie, body style, pickup spacing, headstock shape, cut aways )
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    DIY = draw it yourself! Much more fun.

I'd not use alder for the neck, if avoidable. It's a bit too weak. But then again, Carey Nordstrand made a spruce neck, that works... Still not my choice.
  4. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I bought the plans for a neck-thru bass designed by Moll Instruments from and they are a great resource.
    MIMF recently auctioned off on Ebay a bass built by a collaboration of several luthiers as a fund raiser. These plans were used to design and build that bass. It was beautiful!!

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i setup my plans in 3D CAD.

works great and is a lot of fun.

after 5 or so years of doing this, i have several bass model databases that have been extremely useful.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Pardon the sidebar -

Hey Fred, ever heard of this guy? He does all his complex-curved guitars with CNC, and is offering his shop for outside work. I actually found the site through an ad for SURFCAM.

Obligatory bass content: if you look through the solid-body guitars, there is a bass there, too.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

never heard of him. which don't mean sh1t.

interesting design claim:

"As you look through my site, you will see obvious differences like my patented parabolic curved guitars."

i like what i see.

thanks for the link.