1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plant and Krauss

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by richntiff, Oct 17, 2013.

1. I'm sure it's been discussed before - and I knew about their collaboration, hadn't really ever searched it out though. I'm not a country fan, so don't know alot about Allison Krauss - but holy COW is this great. Might be sacrilege here on TB - but the lead guitar solo tone is absolutely amazing. And, I could listen (and watch) Allison Krauss all day long....

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I saw a recent Plant performance on TV just the other night. Not sure if it was Allison Krause, but the band had a woman on acoustic guitar (plus electric guitar, mandolin, bass, & drums). The hook was something like "Blow Down This House Of Cards"

Plant sounded surprisingly good for a guy who's ravaged his vocal cords over the past 4 decades.

3. If you dug that, get their album "Raising Sand." It's produced by T-Bone Burnett, and is one of my current favorites.

4. that's going to be my next step :)

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yep, fantastic record, just fantastic.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Saw the Raising Sand tour when it came through Portland... They did a "Theater-In-The-Clouds" setting where they somewhat resized the arena and really concentrated on the sound. Far and away the best sounding concert I've ever attended (not even taking into account the material, which was fantastic)!

IMO, anything that T-Bone Burnett (the tall guitar player in the vid) is involved in is going to sound great... Do yourself a favor and check out some of his solo stuff... Very lo-fi and killer!

"Blow Down This House Of Cards" is from Plant's 2010 "Band Of Joy" group which I believe had Patty Griffin doing the female stuff... Another great in her own right. For that album, he pretty much enlisted some of Buddy Miller's band. I know that Byron House played bass... I liked him from Buddy Miller's stuff and was excited to read a great article in Bass Player about him which hipped me to the "Band Of Joy" stuff... Great CD that didn't seem to sell well in today's visually obsessed market.

Of course, Alison Krauss has been in this scene with Union Station for years... Angelic voice, great instrumentalist, easy on the eyes, and a phenomenal backing band... Her brother Viktor is a stud on bass with Lyle Lovett.

-robert

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I could listen to Alison Krauss sing the dictionary. One of my favourite singers.

8. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones....

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Raising Sand is a superb album their voices blend brilliantly and the instrumental work is excellent.:)

9. Viktor Krauss is the man! He's got a great solo album too - "Far From Enough," where Alison sings on a few tracks (and the drummer is Steve Jordan).

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I love his work with Bill Frisell!

11. big +1 :D

The work Robert Plant has been putting out over the last few years is excellent, really glad to see he's still interested in exploring and performing after all the success of LZ. Sign of a true musician to not rest on their laurels.

Same w/JPJ, though Page deserves credit for curating the LZ legacy. Just wish he'd put something new out, he's a terrific guitarist and writer.

12. This is great. Thanks for posting that. One of my favorite singers of all time and a guitar solo that just gives me chills. So few notes and so much emotion. That's how it's done.

13. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Never thought that song would sound so good in bluegrass style! Alison makes my mustache stiff!

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    When I saw them, they did a haunting version of "Black Dog" that was superb! I also have a recording of what I believe is "Band Of Joy" doing "Rock & Roll" that, while not tremendously different from the original arrangement, has some killer upright slap driving the song!

-robert

15. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    "Raising Sand" was one of the best albums of of 2007, and honestly, of the last decade IMO. I bought it for my wife, who's more of the country/bluegrass fan than I, and loves Alison Kraus. But just one listening to that record, and I was hooked. Brilliant song writing, incredible textures, just the whole package. Highly recommend.