Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

planting hand on bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 12, 2005.

1. is this a bad habit?.... both pick playing and finger playing....

I rest my thumb on the top string... but my forearm still slams into the top of the bass.... when i'm picking, its my upper palm, above thumb thats pushing on the bass.... should my hand be touching the bass at all?

Note: playing standing, bass around waist.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    What you are describing is really pretty common. Keep in mind that when playing finger style the more acute the wrist angle is the higher the risk of injury or fatigue. Generally speaking the more "natural" of a position, the better.

3. Yeh, trust me, during a performance, that wrist and forarm and really gonna knock the bass about a bit. Especially if you've got a good audience and you love the song. I shouldn't worry, I often do it, but I can feel it and im as comfy as ever with my bass!

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'd say your forearm shouldn't be touching the bass if you play a lot of fast passages. Changing to a "straight wrist" style takes some adjustment though, but IMO it's worth it.