Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plasma TV Time

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 3, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My wife and I have decided to get a plasma TV. I said in the past that I wouldn't, but we now have some extra money to get one.

Who has one? What do you like and dislike about yours? I'm looking to stay under $2800 for one. Minimum size is 42", max would be 50". We have a very old Hitachi 55" right now. I saw some 42" off the wall brands at places like WalMart for around $1400. I know you get what you pay for just like in the bass gear world, so we'll stay away from those. For us, it has come down to Panasonic, Hitachi, Sony, Pioneer, or Phillips.

-Mike

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have understood that plasmas have problem with the colors dimming in a couple of years of use.

If you are willing to put such a large amount of cash, for 1500 you can get a decent projector with plenty to spare for a nice screen and some interior stuff too.

And I'm sure your wifey won't oblige if you tell her "hey honey, I just thought about this and I want to put (=give you) 500 of this money into decorating our livingroom, is that ok?" ;)

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I've heard this too, but the story I heard is "a couple of years of CONTINUOUS use". As in, 24/7. Under normal use, more like 10 - 15 years.

I picked up a Samsung 50" HD a year or two back, and it's *gorgeous* with an HD signal. Love it. Friends and neighbors are amazed at the sharpness.

Normal cable signal, though..... not so hot.

I absolutely had to have a screen to hang on the wall, though (no floor space available). Unless you're in that situation, you can save a bundle of cash with one of the HD projector sets.

And, it needs to be mentioned, since I bought my plasma, the LCD displays are getting bigger and better.

4. I like the look of DLP tv's better, unless they're high-end plasma. LCD's, not so much...then again, I'm not the type that likes ultra-sharp ultra bright displays.

I use the "movie" filter setting on my "lowly" 32" CRT. :D I like the colors a little "cooler" is all.

5. I agree. My wife and I recently bought a Samsung DLP, after looking at the various types of HD displays currently on the market. The problem I've heard with Plasma's, is the same as has been mentioned, they burn out after a while. But again, that comes down to 24/7 use. Also, if video games are an issue for you, Plasmas are supposedly very susceptible to "burn-in," which makes many video games a no-no, especially if they have any static images while playing (like an HUD for example).

HD is a great thing though. Especially with DVD's. And after you get the bigger screen, there's never a need to go the movies again!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Because of the expense involved in this purchase, my wife and I have done a ton of research on plasmas. We stayed away from them for the past couple years because of your concern.

The good plasmas out today will operate for 30-40,000 hours before any noticeable degradation of picture quality. If you turn down the contrast and brightness, they will last even longer. Because TV viewing habits are so different for everyone, it is difficult to put a number on the amount of years a plasma will last. The typical expectation right now is 12-17 years. Not bad for $2500-3000.

-Mike

7. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    If you watch your plasma 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, you'll get about 15 years out of it...

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've read a few reports that say plasma TVs will see big price drops in 2006. Also, FED & SED displays are supposed to make their appearance next year as well. I don't know how pressing your TV needs are, but if you can wait another 6-12 months your wallet may thank you for it.

I'm personally waiting for affordable 1080p displays along with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players. Just about everything I watch besides NFL action is not shown in HD so I have no problem waiting for another year.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what he said...

also, there's a reason why plasmas are soo cheap, and it has alot to do w/ the resurgence of DLP. IMHO, i'd rather get a nice big ol' DLP for that money. friend has a Samsung 56", and its by far the best picture i've ever seen of any new tech tv, bar none. Halo 2, LOTR, and yes, MNF all look just unreal w/ high def/1080i/etc.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good lord, that's ridiculous.

must be nice to be in the burbs... :rolleyes:

then again, better than the matchboxes we call apt's here... :meh:

11. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    It sounds like someone needs something better to do...

12. Yeah, but thing is, no one, (especially the manufacturers) is banking on that set to last half as long. Not with the "newer is better" credo alot of tech-heads live by.

I have had 20 year old t.v.'s that are still running today, and brandy new digital t.v.'s that haven't lasted 5.

Disposable technology electronics. the norm of the future (and now, matter of fact)

13. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha

lol...Actually, I sell plasmas and other TVs...

14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Altitude also factors in to this. In high-altitude locations, the plasma displays have to "work harder" to provide the picture, due to the lower external (atmospheric) pressure.... and I've heard it suggested that this will result in a shorter useful life.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I hear ya, I have an el-cheapo 27" GE tube bought in '97 that's still going strong, and a 19" tube in the kitchen that's probably twice as old. I want to get a flatscreen just so I can reclaim all that floorspace used by the TV/entertainment stand. :D

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been looking at plasmas too and still can't seem to make myself take that leap. Instead I picked up a refurbished 43" Samsung DLP ($999) off a local Samsung refurb dealer on eBay. It looks and functions like brand new and with 4 year extended warranty and tax it was still under $1200. Shallow design, takes up relatively little space.

Looks great in HD or with dvds, looks okay on lower resolution sources. Picked up a Samsung dvd player with DVI cable for $75 at the same time.

I aso picked up an Epson S1+ for IIRC $450 after rebates (yes, I've received the money;)). It's a short throw projector and I couldn't be happier for the money. I haven't finished my basement yet so I've only used it on a wall in my living. The wall is about 18' W x 13' H so putting up a 12' diagonal display is easy. From outside it looks like I have an actual drive-in in my house;). As Jared said, light control is important so I only use it at night (lots of big windows).

Also not exactly on topic, for anything 20" or below, considering getting a computer LCD display and one of the PC-to-TV boxes. I run a nice 17" display in my kitchen with a Samsung Axession box (great value IMO) into small Yamaha components into in-wall speaker with a sub on the cabinet over the refrigerator. With Tivo.

You can get an Acer 19" and the Samsung box for less than $300 if you look around. My son has that monitor and it's nice. I'm also using a Viewsonic box with a 15" wood framed LCD display (from Goodwill... $25:D) on my desk.

Prices are dropping rapidly on flat panels, I heard a projection that 42" models might be down to $1k by Christmas. Between the Samsung, the Panasonic HD projection tv, the Epson and the other displays we have, I don't have anywhere to put one.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    +1. I've never heard a movie theater sound as good as my home systems.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dude likes his TV.

brad cook

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nah, I actually don't watch often... but when I do, I like to enjoy it. My wife thought the kitchen system was overkill until she started using it. Good sound can make a small tv seem much larger. Plus it's a nice system for audio only.

:D

20. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I'm one of those nerds who keeps up with this stuff. Don't ask why. I couldn't tell you myself.
    But if you want BIG then go projector and screen.
    If you want a crisp and clear picture it's either LCD or plasma.
    LCD
    Reputation for not producing darks very well. Newer models have significantly improved on this. A bigger LCD will cost more than a bigger plasma. A small LCD will cost lest than a small plasma. I find LCD to give the best picture. They also have the longest life. Very light and durable. Plastic film...very very little glare.

Plasma
    Subject to burn-in (still)...better darks than LCD (not much anymore). These things have laser-cut glass panels. They are heavy, thicker than most LCDs, and somewhat fragile. One bump when installing can offset the allignment of the glass panel, resulting in a slightly grainy picture. They still produce somewhat of a glare.

Now, this is where it gets cool. OLCD is due out in around 6-10 years. For those of you who don't know, OLCD is the organic version of LCD. I think Panasonic is pioneering the technology right now. OLCD tvs are a couple millimeters thick and offer the best, most brilliant, most HD, most energy effecient picture yet (according to the scientists). If you guys have ever watched the History Channel, I think there was a show about it. Panasonic has a tv that takes up an entire wall. All of them, even the smaller ones, can be rolled up like a piece of paper. Cool stuff.

And then, of course, if you are going to get top-of-the-line tv, you have to have the soundsystem to go with it. McIntosh + JBL is the way to go. I still have a McIntosh MAC 4100 made in the early 70s that is till going strong. Original tubes. Their speakers are pretty darn good also. I still have the original ones.