1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plasti Dip instead of electrical tape for exposed wire?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nsmar4211, Apr 23, 2010.

1. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    I asked about this in my other thread but realized its a whole different question :)

With a wire that was (apparently) burned by a soldering iron and has some visible copper, could I use a dab of Plasti Dip instead of wrapping a giant chunk of electrical tape to cover it? I'm afraid the electrical tape is a)bulky and b) might come undone (it's hot down here :) ). Plasti Dip is used to cover piezo disks to make underwater mics so it should be ok on a wire I would think? I know they sell a liquid electrical tape also, but it's 9 bucks for a tiny jar....Any thoughts?

2. That should work fine.

3. I'm not sure why you're asking the question?
    Liquid electrical tape simply serves to insulate an open conductor. As long as whatever you choose to do insulates the conductor, it will work fine.

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Heat-shrink tubing works well, too; and it's inexpensive.

5. +1.

6. Based on the other thread, I'm not sure the OP wants to cut and solder wires, which would be required to use heat shrink tubing. The burn is on a pickup lead. I would probably just use tape, and make sure the tape's glue sides are stuck together.

Or use the plasti-whatever, assuming that it is non-conductive.

7. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Lineman-the question was in regards to using the product Plasti Dip to coat a bare wire :). I know the electrical tape liquid would also work, but plasti dip I already have...just wanted to see if it was useable in this application :)

Pseudo and line6: slyjoe is right. Point is to avoid cutting and resoldering :). I thought about slitting a piece of heatshrink open and putting it there and then heating it, but from what I've seen with heatshrink it'd just fall off :(.

Slyjoe: when you say glue sides stuck together, what do you mean? If I wrap it around, it'd be glue to outer side... do you mean take a piece and fold it in half with the wire inside the seam instead of wrapping it around in a loop?

8. Yes - it adds a little extra flap, but it is less likely to unroll.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    electrical tape is never more than a temporary or emergency fix.

heat shrink is the "correct", reliable way to fix this, but the liquid plastic should work fine as well. there's also heat shrink tape, which melts together after being wrapped around something and hit with the heat gun.