1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plastic bit under the strings on fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spector_red, Sep 21, 2002.

  1. Hi,

    I've always wanted to find out - but what is the plastic bit screwed onto the pickguard of fender bass guitars? It's about an inch and a half long close to the G string - same side where the controls of the guitar are.

    (sorry if i'm coming off as a bit of a luddite).
  2. Thats a finger rest.
  3. Okay -

    So I'm assuming you would place the finger(s) on it - to kind of anchor your hand position and then pluck the strings with your thumb? Was that the idea behind it?

    Does anybody actually use this?

    I would have thought it would be better to put it on the other side of the strings so you can place your thumb on it and then have your finger dangling below ready to pluck.
  4. Showdown

    Showdown Supporting Member

    Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Leo Fender thought that most basses would be played by guitarists when he first designed it, so he made it to play with the thumb intead of fingers like a upright. Few people ever used the finger rest, and it disappeared after a while, only returning on "reissues" to make them authentic, like the chrome bridge and pickup covers. They did put one above the strings for a while, too, (in the 70s IIRC) but dropped that too.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.