Plastic covering engines

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 9, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's up with all the plastic covering the engines in modern cars?

I guess it makes it look nicer but who cares?! It seems like removing that crap to get to the engine to work on it is added time for repairs and therefore added service hours when you have to take it to the shop. We just got my wife a Nissan Murano and I could practically spread my papers out on that engine and use it as a desk with all that flat plastic covering everything. I like the car and everything but please, enough with hiding the engine. We know it's in there!! You're not fooling anyone!

brad cook
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup, I don't understand this either. Plastic engine coverings, and other covers in the engine compartment are just more things that will collect dirt, grease, grime, and get brittle/eventually break off, anyway.

Last week I added a fresh air filter in my fiance's PT Cruiser. The only part I should've needed to remove was the washer fluid reservoir, but the plastic coverings with the plastic-type screws tacked on an extra 15 minutes of frustration.
  3. Re-read this sentence. The answer lies within.
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's also for noise isolation, nicer looks, keeping the places clean a tad and especially preventing the average driver fiddling around ;)
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I agree the covers are a pain in the butt, but imo today's engines are nothing to look at. With all the hi-tech hardware, they all look like IBM threw up on them. Nothing exciting to see anymore.

Now, covering up a LS-6 would be blasphemy.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, yeah but my complaint is not that I want to admire the engine...I just wanna see the dang thing. I don't wanna have to unscrew 6 screws and remove a piece of plastic just to flush the radiator or something.

It's refreshing to just go back to my 2000 Xterra and open the hood and be able to see everything, even if it's not much to look at.

brad cook
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Meh, I don't believe that the car manufacturers are attempting to increase how much we have to spend on repairs. Although that may be happening anyway..

brad cook
  8. luckily, many of these plastic covers only take removal of one or two nuts to take them off. I prefer it being a little more "tidy" looking, but yeah, sometimes it's a little extreme.
  9. if it pisses you off, take it out and do to it what you want to do, then throw it away?
  10. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah, it does help cover the myriad of vacuum hoses, sensors, wiring harnesses, and other horrible looking crap. But I prefer being able to see the engine too. Here's what sits in my garage that I actually enjoy working on.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't unbolt that, the rodents will get away ...
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If you have a Volkswagen, they're functional "heat shields".

13. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Heat shields do serve a purpose, i.e. keeping heat from an exhaust manifold from burning through hoses and wires. The plastic that hides the engine is just another piece that will catch more dirt and break off sooner or later.
  14. I took out a plastic cover over the battery in my car, as it was just gathering condensation which dripped onto the battery:confused:
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't see the point either, but we as consumers seem to like seeing things from racing cars in our road cars - rims, spoilers, scoops, the list goes on. Look under the hood of our local V8 touring cars and all you can see is plastic. It's designed to keep competitors from being able to see the engine and perhaps extract some info you'd prefer to remain secret.

How long will it be before road cars have roll cages and 5 point harnesses instead of regular seat belts?
  16. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    It's definitely to avoid the average user from sniffing under the hood. Of course it doesn't stop ME from sniffing, you know...

17. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Mine does.
  18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    That got my attention. How about some details?

Heres what's in my garage.........

Attached Files:

19. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Beat me to it, also no longer true.

Hmmm...I'm sure they make 5 pooint kit for the WRX soemwhere...
  20. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Any of the 5 point kits that Summit, Jegs etc carry would fit your WRX. They give you all the necessary brackets and tabs to put it all together.

One word of advice- we were told (during a roadside meeting with Johnny Law) that the 5 point harnesses weren't street legal. Personally I fail to see where the stock lap belt (in the 69 Chevelle we were riding in) is any safer than a 5 point harness. Imo if they're safe enough for a 200 mph Pro Stock car, they're overkill for a blast down Main Street.

Cheezewiz, if you happen to stumble on this issue, could you give me your input?