plastic covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Please forgive me if this is a really silly question. But I've never modified a bass before.

I got a cheapy MIM Active Jazz 5. And I got a set of NJ5F's. But... I didn't pay attention when I ordered them. They do not come with the plastic covers, as they are supposed to fit inside the standard covers. But... the covers on my Jazz are single pole covers. These pickups fit inside the covers... but they don't fit the holes.

Where can I get a set of covers with two pole holes per string??? I've found some for 4string Jazz's.. but not 5 string jazzs.

For what it's worth... even with the mismatched covers... the new pup's sound GREAT in this cheapy bass.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    they are kind of hard to find. You can get a fender authorized dealer to order them for you. I could order single miscellaneous parts from them when I worked at a dealer, and it was quite a painless process. They will have to call and have the Fender person look it up, because it won't be in there pricing list/catalog.
  3. Thanks.. I guess.

You were supposed to tell me I'm stupid, and I can get them for $5.00 from a slew of places including __________ .

But thanks man... it's good to hear from you again.

For anyone that cares...
    Been playing this thing some more.... Carey's guarantee is not hollow. These things are guaranteed to make your 5 string sound better... they certainly do that!!! But I wish I had the right plastic covers.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, believe me, I used all my google powers, and couldn't find a bit. That is the best option I can think of.

Good to hear from you too! How's the band and all that? I really wanted that Ric you sold, but I am so in debt right now, i can hardly buy strings. Oh well.
  5. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hey Biker,
    I'm glad you're enjoying the pickups.
    I have a supplier that has those covers listed in their parts list, but the last time I checked with them they weren't available. I will check again tomorrow to see if the situation is changed and post here if I find anything out.
    Sorry to not have covers available for those pickups, but it's one of those weird Fender proprietary things, and it's taking a while for the aftermarket to catch up...
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  7. Carey-- Thanks for the help. The pickups do sound great!

davidmwilson--- thanks to you too. I looked, but it seems they don't have any for 5 string. I'll send them an email though.

I'm not all that concerned about the looks... I've got a 500 sq foot empty room in my office building that we use for rehearsal. I bought this bass just for something to keep at home, so I didn't have to drag the good stuff around when I wanted to do some home practice. But then I thought... I wonder what new pup's would sound like...well... they sound GREAT!!! now I'm wondering... should I change the preamp too??? ugh... I've got more spent in parts than the bass was worth. But... it's got a pretty nice neck, and now it sounds pretty good too.
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, didn't see they were 5 string.
  9. Don't be sorry. It's just another place I bookmarked for parts & stuff.
    I still appreciate it!!