Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plastic shells

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why aren't they used more to make bass amps ?
    They're lighter than wood, very resistant, stay black whatever happens and allow original shapes.
    They're everywhere on the sound reinforcement market.

2. If I wanted a plastic cab, id use a PA cab...:D

3. Jazz Ad

Do you have anyone particular in mind when saying that ? :p

4. I've just heard of some wacko in france that does it...::eek: :p

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Jazz, do you mean a molded cab? I never thought of one of those being a bass cab. But it would work....:meh:

6. Jazz Ad

Yes, that's what I mean. I actually use PA active cabs as my bass rig, and it made the idea pop into my head.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Off the top of my head, the only reason I could think of is that plastic would "trap" the sound... reflecting it inside the enclosure more so than wood, which absorbs much of the sound.

May not be a noticable difference, but it could be a huge one.... I've never tried it.

8. Jazz Ad

I don't think so.
    Even in a wooden cab, you need foam / glasswool to dampen the enclosure.
    Nothing wrong with doing the same in a plastic body.
    Besides, if it works for PA subs, it should work for bass amps too.

Would there be a tradition issue regarding the lack of wood in such cab ?
    I myself wouldn't havea problem with it.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I think you're been looking at PA speakers that are 2 and 3 way mid-highs. I've never seens plastic sub. The Mackie active PA I used last weekend had moulded plastic mid-highs but wooden subs.

See if you can dig up some info in "Diffraction" and you'll understand why subs and bass cabinets need more attention that other types of speakers.

In a nutshell:- speakers throw their sound forwards right? But as the frequencies get lower, there's a point where the speaker starts throwing it backwards as well. the lower you go, the more that goes backwards until eventually it's going 50/50. That's why a sub has no bottom end unless you put it in a cab. THe cab design is very important in determining how to stop those rearwards soundwaves from being lost. The cab has to be sturdy, but concrete is too heavy so they use wood. Plastic is not only too light, it has pretty ordinary acoustic properties.

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Actually, I would prefer a molded enclosure for my bass. Techonology has advanced to the point tha t actual composite materials can be used to improve the apparent response of bass instrument so that we do not have to deal with moving obscene weights with our feeble backs.

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Peavey has the Impulse line of cabs, including active and passive cabs, and a couple of sub models. Not too shabby either IMO. :)

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually the technology advance towards lighweight cabs that's got me interested is the use of Neodymium in speaker magnets. I recently bought 2 x 10" speakers that weight 2.1kg each and only need a 36 litre cab. - that's darn small and light.

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'm thinkin pretty soon there will be wood that can be melted and formed just like plastic, that is actually natural and grows on trees, ready to be used.

ok maybe with the help of modern technology, but the combination of wood and plastic, and any other composites could create the best of both worlds.

14. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    We have a company in Austria which has developed a technology to make extrusion profiles (e.g. for window frames) of wood chips...

Sorry for going OT...
    Matthias