Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plateau

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Headtripus, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Hi Michael,

I've been playing bass for about 8 months. I'm learning very quickly (That's other musicians I know's observation, not just big-headed me) because I'm passionate and dedicated. But I don't know where to go from where I stand now.

My situation:
    -Technically I'm very skilled, but I need to work on timing and rythm
    -I play both with and without a pick
    -The only bass theory I know of is the "Introduction to bass theory" post that's really popular on this site.

So I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction, whether it be literature I should read (I live a $1 train ride from the Berkley College of Music in Boston) or bassists I should study and emulate or anything else you think would benefit me.

Thank you for your time,
    Mike Brewster

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Mike,
    I totally understand your position. Reaching a plateau is a tough place for anybody. I think that every member here as felt that feeling.

My advice to you would be as follows:

1. Consider getting a teacher if you don't already have one. A good teacher does more than provide information. A good teacher provides inspiration, motivation and opens new horizons. I think Lucas Pickford lives near Boston (www.lucaspickford.com )

2. Expand your own horizons. Listen to new music, stuff you might not ever consider listening to. Try to transcribe and analyze this music. Transcribe and analyze the music that you prefer as well.

3. Study the music of another instrument. Listen to the harmony of the piano or the melodic ideas of a sax.

4. Try to understand that you NEED mileage. You need to take the time to have your musicianship catch up with your technique. Be OK with that. Give yourself a break, so to speak. Allow yourself to develop.

5. Jam with as many players and in as many different styles as you can. Jam with players much better than you and be cool with getting you a** kicked a bit.

6. Read "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner

Hope this helps

Mike

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Right on, Mike :)

As musicians, we will encounter many stages and plateaus. I know I get myself into many ruts and sometimes I think I will never get out, but I eventually do and nothing feels greater.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Headtripus, Mike is also being modest, click here http://www.michaeldimin.com/books.htm the lessons section is good and the book is excellent.

Remember you cannot spam someone elses product. Mike deals with the I NEED TAB NOW !!!! threads with more grace and mercy than I can manage and then answers questions without mentioning his own book. Butt kissing over.

The only thing that Mike missed (and it's you to tallk about you in the third person on your own forum) is that no matter how long you have been playing or how good you are there will always be times when you hit that wall. After 20 years of playing in front of people weekly I went to Steve Lawson for a 'top up'.

Keep at it, work at it and remember to have fun.

CS totally amateur and unknown bassist.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Chris,
    You're absolutely right. All players hit plateaus. The key is to know what to do or where to look when it happens. You get a "top up" with Steve L - great idea.

Mike