Play a gig or see Victor Wooten?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by HardTech, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Should I play bass in a gig for a band I'm not a part of yet or don't join the band and go see Victor Wooten in concert?

The band is like a darker Sarah McLaughlin without the piano. Outside of church, I've never played bass in a gig

2. if i was you i would take the gig. but thats just me, i would likely fall asleep in a vic concert.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I feel like he tours often enough. stick with the gig.

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Play the gig, rent the Vic dvd. ;)

5. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    Gig

6. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Gig...

7. Who's Victor Wooten?

8. Go see Vic. Besides being an amazing player, he puts on a really good show. :)

9. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Better yet..... 1) go see wooten 2) root canal 3) alien anal probe.

Hmmm. tough choice.

10. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    do the gig.......

1) helps you improve as a player
    2) gets you in the eye of the public for future work
    3) if you've already committed to it, follow through with your word....don't be the typical musician flake......bass players are better than that, leave that for the drummers and, ehh, guitarists....
    4) it's way more fun to play than to watch
    5) if it's paid, need I say more....

My .02 though....

11. I haven't committed... I just e-mailed the person asking for the level of commitment expected from their potential bass player. Of course if I commit I'll follow through. I just happened to like the music and would be cool to play it at a gig... I don't know if it's paid or not.

But thanks for your input, as well as everybody else's.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll take the Probe.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That right there would be the deciding factor for me. I don'y know if I'd go see wooten but I'd stay home and clip my toenails if the gig was free.

14. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be paid, but I don't know for certain.

But paid or not, I'd play in a gig if I could. I do it all the time in church, and it's a blast just playing music for the sake of playing music. Not only that, but it feels great when a lot of people want to "shake my hand" because I'm the best bassist they've seen.

Then again, we're talking about church. A lot of younger people don't really play more than one note at a time.

15. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I get to play a gig every weekend, get to GO to a decent gig once or twice a year. I've seen VW twice ever. Our band diary has a number of dates blocked off because one of us wants to go to some cool gig.

Unless it was a chance to play somewhere special, or a gig which was going to lead to something more I'd not take the gig and go see VW.

If I'd made a commitment I'd probably ask the guys nicely if I could get out of it, but honor the commitment if it was going to cause any problems.

Ian

16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    play a gig. you can buy dvd's where you can see vic live. play the gig.

17. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    I'd play the gig.

18. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Go see Vic

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Easy choice: Gig.

If it was the Flecktones, it might be a tricky one. But Vic's solo career... ugh, what a nightmare. I'd say gig for sure, and get a DVD later if you want.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    He's just some wanker :D :bag: . I'd rather go play the gig, but that's just me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021