Play a style that is not what I want to play.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, May 24, 2001.

1. I was just wondering what your opinions on this where.
    At the moment I have just joined a band which is playing more of a metal style which I don't particuly like metal now before you all jump in and say "what did you join the band for?" or "Don't join the band" I'll say that the reason is for the experience of playing live and the broadening of different music styles. What I was thinking is will this effect the way in which I play because I don't like the style that much except for maybe certain songs here and there. The other thing is it is kind of a job.
  2. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm doing the exact same thing you are. I hate metal and frankly most rock; prefer blues, funk, that sort of thing. But several weeks ago my metal head friends asked me to practice with them since they don't have a bassist. So I do it once a week (no gigs) just to jam with others. I find jamming the basslines for the likes of AC/DC, Judas Priest, G 'n R (yeah I hate it all) is certainly easier than the kind of stuff I practice when I'm solo. I feel it only helps me rather than hurts me. I say go for it...
  3. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm having the same problem with the friends i'm playing with. We are all newbies, and were practicing for a party at the end of the summer in front of a bunch of our friends. They are all older than me and the songs they picked out to cover are mostly slower songs, only two of them really kinda rock. I've told them if we get these songs worked out and decide to try to tackle a few more, I get to pick the new ones. If we dont do a few songs that actually move, we're going to have to tap a keg of coffee instead of beer.

But, the reason i'm doing it is because its practice jamming with other musicians instead of playing by myself and a cd-player. I consider ANY thing I do with other people is only going to help me.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I agree with all of you. It can't hurt to learn a different style and "stretch" both your ability and your tolerance. (Except I couldn't play in a polka band, no matter what. :+D)

Experience is priceless-- getting your face out there on the stage is priceless, too. Who knows what will come along just because someone saw you play, needed a bass player and invited you?

Also, it helps to build up a repertoire of songs. You never know when your band will get a request at a gig. It happens.

I say stick it out. There may be a very positive payoff down the road for your dedication.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If playing the music you aren't crazy about will lead somewhere, will open a door or two, then stick with it and chalk it up to paying your dues.

If it's a dead end gig, drop it, IF you have options. Playing music you don't enjoy hinders your progress as a musician because you aren't motivated to excel. But playing bass without interacting with other musicians is worse, like fisk mentioned.
  6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Was once in the same postion, but this is the kind of stuff they made me play;

Phil Collins
    a bunch of sappy, obscure British pansy music
    later day Pearl Jam
    Heart (we had a chick singer and a guy one)

Tool like

It was a hideous gig. Quit after one show.
  7. my band covered pearl jam's "yellow ledbetter" at our last show, which i wasn't too psyched about at first because the bassline's pretty much 3 notes, with a lot of space in between. but i definitely got into it more, threw in a couple tasteful slides and stuff, and got into the groove. nobody i play with likes the same stuff as me, but in an odd way that makes us real creative sometimes.
  8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    DancehallClasher, we sometimes in my group jam on Yellow Ledbetter. I get bored playing because of the 4 note monotony. What do you do on that song. Can you tab it out or outline it for me. I can't think of a cool bassline for the song that actually fits.
  9. rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    What's the matter with playing in a polka band? It's like playing any other kind of music, with the following exceptions:
    Every song is fast.
    Tunes are almost all in 2/4 time.
    There's usually an accordian player.
    You just grit your teeth, hold on for dear life, and ride that old beer barrel!
    If you get a chance, give any kind of music a try. I builds character & chops. It's all good...

And a one, and a two...
  10. JWC - i don't make it sound very busy or anything, i just usually slide down to the E and B, throw in 5ths and octaves sparingly, and sometimes do short runs to bridge the notes. i wish i had a fretless for that song. i like keeping it simple to act as a good foundation for my awesome guitarist, who can nail the solos in that song spot on.
  11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    like what kind of runs? which notes? my runs are what really sounds cheesy when i make my own bassline. I do use the 5th sometime on that one when I'm on E (7th fret, A string) and then use the B on the E string. My runs to bridge the notes are terribly hokey. Thanks.
  12. You can learn something from anyone!!!! Perfect example for me is this: I'm not a Greatful Dead fan but I read an article on Bob Weir in Guitar Player many years ago when I still played guitar.He said he had to use partial chords so he wouldn't clutter up their sound. So I decided to use this philosophy when I started playing bass.For me the exact opposite became true.I was able to cover much sonic territory and fill up the rhythm section so that the rhythm section didn't sound too sparse.I'm still not a fan of the Dead,but Bob's article dramatically changed my style.Since then,whenever someone had to replace me they would ask how I filled up so much space...Blame it on Bob.
  13. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Willie's right about learning from anyone - I forgot to mention that one of the guitarists in the metalhead hack group that I jam with is taking music theory at the local university. So of course I learn some stuff from him. Who'd a thunk it? A budding theorist, jamming with some metalheads...
  14. I once had a small band like that. My friend and I began to play instruments (he plays guitar) about two years ago. We formed a band with a drummer and another guitarist. We played the likes of goldfinger and Blink 182, while i wanted to play zeppelin, beatles, U2 and other good bands. I hated playing with two guitarists because i lost low end while trying to cut through modern heavy distortion. I finally quit that band and i am forming another one with my cousin (keyboards) and a friend (guitar) and I couldn't be happier. Since then the other guitarist got sick of my friend's LGS and joined another band and the drummer want's in on mine...
  15. Well i am in a metal band. hehee. The thing i found was, it has furthered my bass playing ability ten fold. But then again thats because the guitarist we have is very much influenced by classical music and black metal so its cool.

I guess because you don't really like metal, it'd be interesting by merging the styles of music you like into the metal. Don't over do it, but subtly include it. I have seen bands incorporate blues style bass playing to metal, some funk rolls etc and it can be very affective.

16. Just have fun playin, try not to worry too much whether you like the style.
    Anyway, you might end up changing their style instead of them changing yours. When I first joined my band, all of our songs were straightforward and poppish. Not my stuff! My style is acid rock, weird stuff, like The Doors and the Floyd. Im listening to our latest tape now and the style has definately changed from what they were before me. The music, even the same songs, now have a very spacey trippy feel to them.
  17. Just wanted to add, a mixture of playing styles can only help a band find its own sound. Look at the Doors: blues singer, classically trained pianist, flamenco guitarist and a jazz drummer! All came together perfectly. The Doors definately had a unique sound, you can tell a Doors song anywhere.
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Definatly do it up, Im currently in a pop-top 40 band, Some of this music is'nt exactly my cup of tea, Im a rocker at heart, but the experiance and knowlege that its going to provide me is priceless. Its broadening my horizons and making me play alot of diverse bass lines, that Im not normally used to playing, especially the 70's tunes we do. (yuck)

I also find that when you take a song from a style your not familiar with and make it your own, that the other styles your familiar with come out more and usually make for a good remake of a cover song.
  19. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I'm a bass player. I'll play anything. I listen to most anything. Usually old two-tone SKA, Punk Funk, and even way out stuff like Manring. I'm in a Soul/R&B/Funk/SKA project right now and it's a blast because it's what I love to play. However, I get offers all the time to play in top 40 or classic rock or blues groups. I would have fun at first but I would get bored more quickly. I'm thinking of getting involved in a Latin band that does more traditional songs, not all Salsa, but Columbian, Merengue, Cuban, etc. It will be totally different for me and that's exciting. I won't get bored.
  20. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Lizard King, question for you.... Do you consider Ray Manzeric (sp?) a bass-player? Just curious. I understand he did all the bass licks with his foot-pedals? That took some serious talent.