1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Play For Experience? Or not play at all?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xofnahtan, Dec 13, 2006.

1. OK here's my troubles. In the town I live in there's not many musicians, and none of them realy like the same styles of music I do. Well I'm moving in a year to way bigger town with a lot more musicians, and I want to be prepared with playing,writing,jamming, and interacting with other musicians. Plainly I would just more experience period. Now its not like I haven't had experience, just not enough as I would like. Now my only options are playing with these two bands here, neither of them are realy the style I like to play the most its not like I hate theyre music either, the music would be challenging and atleast fun to play though.. So I need some advice, should I play with a band for fun and experience or should I wait till I find something that catches my ear?

2. I say go for it. Have some fun, don't worry about it too much. It's good experience to play outside your comfort zone, and it's not like you have to make a career out of one of those two bands.

3. thats kind of what I was thinking but i wanted to get some opinions before I did anything

4. i totally agree, if you dont hate the music i dont see much of a problem, go for it, have fun:D

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I also say go for it. Real band experience is worth a lot.

6. scottyg11

scottyg11

Mar 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Go for it. It can only help you get better. Best advise I ever got was play with as many people in as many styles as you can.

7. +1 The answer is in the question. If you find yourself in the wrong band and something better comes along, your only question is how to leave.

8. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    If you go for it make sure the bands understand it is a temperary thing (seeing as you're moving shortly). But yeah, if they'll take you on that basis go for it

9. sweet everybody thanks for the support, and I agree experience is worth alot and I personaly progress much faster playing with people then I do by myself.

10. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and try a different avenue with music. If nothing else it helps you determine what you don't want to do.

11. I wouldn't tell them. The future is never certain.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There is quite possibly more to be learned from playing music that you don't like than from music that you do like.

13. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    go play

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I've played for experience.

When I moved to Albuquerque there was mainly just an old school metal scene. I had just gotten out of a band that was doing awesome math/progressive tech metal in Miami.

I joined a crappy metal band to get back in the swing of things and get some more experience on stage. My reputation and contacts built up, and I am in a great band now.

Funny thing is, I learned a lot from playing with the lousy band. Like how to do tasteful fills (the music had ample opportunity... not much going on) and write bass parts that really drove the music.