1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Play in a band for Experience?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by baddarryl, Jul 1, 2020.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hey all. I have been asked to play in an Outlaw Country/Southern Rock cover band which is huge here. It is not really native to me as I am a Rocker from the old school, but I did grow up in Gator Country. I have played, but not gigged with these guys before and the material was fun. It could be fun!

My only hesitation is I somewhat desire to play/write some original rock/metal, but it’s nearly impossible to find the same mindset with people. I am looking at the above situation to hone my skills and get gig experience. I am 52 and have only played/gigged in a few bands. I am clearly still learning. Really no reason I can’t do both if the opportunity arises right?

2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    If you had fun you should totally do this. There is nothing stopping you from playing country and writing rock.

I’ve done ethnic, funk, Latin and blues bands concurrently with no negative effects. It’s just a different type of playing between genres and you just learn to switch. If anything it’s probably a good thing.

pcake, design, HolmeBass and 21 others like this.
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Do it.
    I'm in a Willie Nelson tribute for some of the same reasons (and also because of the serious commercial potential...)
    You will have to learn to have a hard switch on your style.
    I'm more of a blues/jazz/fusion fan and I really have to concentrate on quarter-note (or whole-note!) roots and fifths, with the occasional walkup change.
    If you can make that stylistic switch, it's a good skill to have.
    If you think you can play prog-rock in any style, it won't be a happy experience.
    But either way, it will be experience...

dtripoli, DJ Bebop, dfp and 6 others like this.
  4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Agreed, do it. You will learn a ton about performance, gig management and even song construction that can't fail to help you grow as a musician and translate positively to an original band situation.

5. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I just listened to our old set list and am into it. Just committed.

6. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    How did you guess Prog Rock/Metal is my favorite? ☠️

Beej and rtav like this.
  7. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    If you have time, no reason you can't pursue multiple projects and I actually highly encourage it if you can manage to stay sharp for both of them.

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to get involved with the potentially "fun" band and then start an originals project to feed that desire. For me, that's a perfect situation. Originals can be hard to gig, so you get the "fun", public outlet with the Southern Rock and the personal stimulation with the originals.

FWIW - I'm not sure what YOU consider old school rock (seems to be different for everyone), but that's where I come from and I'm finding a lot of fun with the Outlaw Country/Southern Rock that our band features (along with some Old School (70s) and newer rock).

pcake likes this.
  8. Absolutely do it. Experience is invaluable.

Bajo Clarkko, rollie 55 and Chef like this.
  9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Playing is good. Except for time constraints, no project prevents you from doing a very different one. I have simultaneously played jazz, backed singer songwriters and played punk,o electric bass, upright bass, guitar, and mandolin.

10. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    I'd do it. Band, gig experience and making some cash playing music is a plus. Getting out of your comfort zone can really expand your vision towards bass playing.

Bajo Clarkko and comatosedragon like this.
  11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    One of the best things I ever did for my playing is to start doing gigs outside of my preferred genre. It really expanded my skill set to have to think differently and learn other styles. Do it.

12. Aceman

Aceman

May 1, 2020
    Tampa Bay
    Do it. This is gonna sound horrible....so take it with a grain of salt:

Your original Rock deal is going to take forever to find someone with same/similar/interested mindset, and even then you will likely not find gig one. Assuming after that that it actually stays together for a hot minute it won't generates 20+ listenable songs anytime soon. It won't interfere with anything but your own time.

IF it ever becomes an issue - then go and deal with it. I wouldn't worry about though.

However - if writing is what you want - go write. Skip the band. Time away from writing. Me, at 52? (I'm 53) go play with the band. Have fun while still (barely) young enough to enjoy it! You can always sit in the old rockers home with a laptop and garage band and write/record.

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Go for it. It's unlikely that an original rock/metal will gig enough to be an impediment, but if that where your heart is, go for that too. We have plenty of Lynyrd Skynyrd cover bands.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Good for you!
    Chances are this will be a very good experience for you. You'd be surprised how many musicians cross into country music. You might even come in contact with people you want to do a rock/metal project with...

I joined my first country band (am playing in another now) over a decade ago after playing in a couple of indie'ish rock groups. I stumbled on it after deciding I wanted my next band involvement to be:
    -A new kind of music
    -With better musicians
    -Playing bigger gigs.
    -Getting paid. Not as a career, but something more than $20 a gig.

There's a whole thread about it here, but suffice it to say, the band I joined delivered all that. Though I didn't know virtually anything about the genre before it, I found I really enjoyed the classic/outlaw/vintage flavor of the country music they played.

Playing for the experience, connections and cash are fine reasons for joining up with a country group. You might even end up -like me- liking some country music.

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  15. Flat-N-Round

Flat-N-Round

Jun 30, 2020
    I’d do it.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Play in a band for Experience?
    Sure!
    ...and for fun and money.

17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.

BBQV, OogieWaWa and mikewalker like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s more important you get out and play than it is to sit home waiting for the ideal alignment of stars to occur and drop your ideal band in your lap.

Get some stage experience, get used to live stage sound (it’s different), get familiar with how to put on a show and become comfortable ‘working’ an audience. And above all get outside your comfort zone by exploring and developing some facility with other music genres.

You got nothing to lose and a while lot to gain as a musician hooking up with that band.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

pcake and Need Gigs like this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

this would be the best reason to play in any band/gig situation! ;)

right! :thumbsup:

Helix likes this.
  20. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    I started out in the genre. Lynyrd skynyrd, Allman bros, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Outlaws. The good old days. Some of those bass lines get busy, are melodic and dominate the tune. Plenty of room for 2 guitars and keys. An excellent place to progress and add more stuff to your bag of tricks. Would definitely serve you well in other genres.
    Rule #1: NO FREE BIRD !