Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Play Jaco Pastorius or Jonas Hellborg

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bosch, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Bosch

Bosch

Aug 12, 2005
    Nietzsche
    Hi Bassplayers,

My favorite bassplayers are JP and JH. I would like to make a guitarsolotrack in their style.

I invite you all to give your best shot at this drum track:

neverstop.mp3

If possible, play (for instance) 4 bars Am, 8 bars F#, etc.,(or whatever). I need some structure to play a guitar solo over the bass line.

Music ain’t no competition, but I’ll play solo over the best track :D

Hope you enjoy recording!

Thanx!

Grtz,

~Bosch~

Bosch_Racing

2. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    That's one busy drum track. I'm plugging in and making an attempt at it right away.

3. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Oh, by the way, do you want only the bass track or should I mix it down together with the drums?

4. Bosch

Bosch

Aug 12, 2005
    Nietzsche
    Both if possible :)
    Eventually I need the bass only, so I can insert it in Cakewalk and mix the drums and bass.

Thanx!

5. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    I'm not extremely happy with how this turned out but it's kinda Jaco-ish in that it uses one of his signature grooves.
    Best of luck to everyone who gives this a go. Those drums are kinda hard to play with though IMO. They're just everywhere at once.

Here's the isolated bass part. It's easy to fit to the drum track since I hit my E-string where the bass drum goes.
    http://rapidshare.de/files/4389131/never_stop-bass.mp3.html

And here's the bass and drums together:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/4389268/never_stop-bass_drum.mp3.html

6. Bosch

Bosch

Aug 12, 2005
    Nietzsche
    :cool:

This sounds cool!

Nice groove and cool tone.

I can imagine the drums might be not so playable. Should I upload another drumtrack? If so: should it be faster or slower or is it just the beat/groove that should be very different from the original one?

Just let me know :)

7. I think the drum groove is great and very playable. Ive been messing around with some stuff and will record it later (I've got a blister on my finger so it kinda sucks right now).

The problem is kinda the form the drummer takes.. I'm not sure if he had a melody in his head but it seems as if the fills dont quite fit right..

Youve got 4 bars upfront for intro (highhat thing) which is cool
    Then you have 16 bars before the first major fill
    then you have another 20 bars before another fill
    and then 8 bars until a fill for the end.

Maybe its just me, but the structure doesnt seem right.. I could see 8 bars Am, fill, 8 bars F#, fill. Or 8 bars of Am then 16 of F#...

Just an idea

8. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Nah man. It's yoyr track so you shouldn't have to change anything. But I'm with bobby when it comes to the form of the song. That's probably why I found it a little hard to play to. Plus the fact that I was so into playing a busy bass line but that often doesn't go to well with a busy drum track.

Hope some more people give this a go cause it sure was fun, anyhow.

9. Sorry, I'm in school now so time is pretty scarce. :(

I was looking forward to trying this drumtrack, too. Taking 19 units, though (as well as taking Chinese off campus).

10. Bosch

Bosch

Aug 12, 2005
    Nietzsche
    Damn I really like this way of playing!!! :cool:
    This style of playing notes with the right hand (if your right :D ) is very, very nice. I like the small accents in the, .... ehm 'picking' hand.

Also the groove is very convincing. Cool!

The parting of bars can be done as you like. 4 bars or 8 bars. It was just my suggestion :)

I'm gonna go to Brazil for two weeks or so. When I come back the 17th of september I'll pick the coolest bass and JAM! :bassist:

Adios!

11. Right on man.. When this blister heals up, I'll lay down a cleaner track with and without drums..

Take it easy in Brazil!

12. Bosch

Bosch

Aug 12, 2005
    Nietzsche
  13. Sounds pretty cool! What do you mean when you say "using Jaco Pastorius samples"? Are they loops or one-shot samples? And are these actually from Jaco, or are they recorded by another bassist imitating Jaco?

EDIT: Or did you simply splice together sounds from Jaco's solo recordings?

14. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Would someone please tell me in really simple terms how to upload some bass guitar playing to this website.Right, I have my bass guitar and im playing stuff......what next?
    Please keep it simple cause I'm a learner with computers.

15. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    fallon! Check out the sticky in the main forum for recording. Posted there are a bunch of sites that will host your file. Just upload it there and put a link to it in this thread. That's what I did.

16. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Thanks for reply Pauljacksonfan.

Maybe you dont realise just how thick I am!

Right,I'm sitting with my bass ...what next?
    Do I have to record what I want to upload to a cd from my Tascam 2488 and then what? I'm really 'entry level' here with regard to uploading and pc's and all that!

So I've recorded a bass part on the Tascam 2488 and burned it to cd so what's next?

Thanks.

17. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
  18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You never said what kind of minor . . . :D

clicky

hint: It's A minor w/ a flat 2nd and both minor and major 3rds, switching to F#dim once in a while.

19. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    How do I listen to your bass in this Rapidshare site?! I'm confused ![/QUOTE]

There. rapidshare has a lame 37 downloads limit. That's why you couldn't download it before. Try it again now. It should work.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4389268/never_stop-bass_drum.mp3.html

Next thing for you is to find a program that let's you rip mp3's. I think there's a free one called Free rip mp3, but I don't know since I rip all mine in in cubase. After you've made yourself an mp3 upload it ontoa free host such as rapidshare or any of the others in the sticky. Good luck.