Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Play Like Phil Lesh

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone know anything about his technique?
    What scales he played? Any theory being applied here?

2. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I am a deadhead and a bass player therefore I idolize Phil Lesh (and golden calfs but thats a diffrent story.) I would do anything to be able to play his songs the way he does but for that you need to be.. Phil Lesh. My bass teacher is into jambands and he agrees that while you can learn to play what he plays for a song its not the same and never will be. The only thing I cna say is learn ALL the modes. He bounces around from one to the other as if there are no tommorows. This man studied Music Theory before he picked up a bass so he had it all he knew what sounded intresting, right, and wrong and it helped that he tended to have a head full of acid often. Oh and if your jamming make sure you have a damn good rhythm guitarist and a drummer (or two) who can fill the music up without being loud and obnoxius. Phil could do what he did because Bobby, Bill and Mickey kept everything tight. Phil played what i've heard refered to as "Lead Bass" and that doesn't tend to fly when you, a drummer, and a guitarist are the only ones playing. I love phil and hes my biggest influence but I've learned that I won't be able to do what he is and my "style" is a hybrid of what phil does and more traditional bass playing. P.S. complete off subject, get the stella blue august 1st 1994 (jerrys birthday) its avaialbe at archives.org. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

3. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    My band Caribou Foot is a "jam band" and we play a couple of Dead tunes (Check out my sig!). All I know is he used to play Alembics and now a Modulus with a pick. He does know his theory and plays everywhere on the neck. I tend to make the Dead tunes groove more though.

Good luck with your tone.

4. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I listened to some of your caribou foot stuff, i really like it. good job. the rising is a sick song.

5. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Thanks for checking out the site and listening. However, the site needs new music uploaded badly, I didn't join the band untill July 1st. But I'll tell the old bassist you said good job. We hand out free cd's at our shows and people usually look at us crazy, "Free?!". You figure it onlys costs 20 cents to make a disc, why not hand them out for free. There are plenty of money hungry bands out there, we're not one of them. We even play out for free, we just love music.

Thanks again!

6. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    thanks for the responses. Any one know what scales he likes to use are?

7. plsh

plsh

Jun 27, 2004
    usa
  8. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Where can you find that handbook he mentions in the article?? Anyone know?
    Thanks