1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Play list (how many songs when gigging)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Aug 19, 2002.

  1. fadlan bassman

    fadlan bassman

    Oct 23, 2001
    My band may play out soon, but we only have 6 original songs. We will probably do a couple of covers. How many songs does your band play in a about 30-45 min set ?
  2. Pretty much depends on how long your songs are. We try not to have any dead time between songs so we usually pump out 12-15 songs per 45 min set. If the crowd came to listen you can get away with talking BS between songs but if they are dancing you will clear the dance floor if you talk between songs. 90% of the people can't understand what you are saying and the other 10% won't care anyway. IMO I think eight songs might be cutting it a little close.
  3. 13-15, all 3-4 1/2 minute songs, no extended jams (sigh). Agree with the comment about keeping things moving. Dead space is a major buzzkill.
  4. Bob Clayton

    Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

    Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    my band could usually fit 10 in 45 min....with very little talk

  5. yawnsie


    Apr 11, 2000
    It depends... personally, I'd rather a band made their set as short and snappy as possible, within reason. Last week, we cut a gig short because our singer had bronchitis, and only did six numbers. I reckon that eight songs is plenty for an original band, although the length of your songs makes a difference.
  6. you don't really want to push a lot of music on an audience as a new band, especially if you're opening for a band they DO want to see. get your songs tight, play 'em boom-boom-boom for 45 minutes, and get outta there. if you're good, you'll leave them wanting more. if you're bad, they won't want to kill you for wasting an hour and a half of their time.
  7. yawnsie


    Apr 11, 2000
    That's right. I've lost count of the amount of bands I've seen that I've never heard anything from before, who I've been impressed with to begin with but got bored after they've been on for an hour.
  8. 9 - 10 with the trio (usually only 1 or 2 solos)

    7 - 10 with the X-tet (more solos)

    per 45 min set

    - Wil
  9. john turner

    john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

    Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one of the songs we play is the "music-related thread to miscellaneous dance" . it's sorta like old men without hats type stuff.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.