Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Play more notes = get paid more!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by arther daily, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What's going on here - a blast from the past!! ?? ;)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    LOL, this pretty much confirms what people told me about playing in German orchestras. :p

But since it's music-related...moved to Misc.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Naah, I was logged in as AD yesterday after a guitarist in may band found my comments about his lack of musical knowledge via a search engine. He took slight offence, so after I'd told him to shut up and get some lessons I deleted them! :meh:

This bit is brilliant!

"The musicians deny being pedantic. "We could have calculated the surcharge per semi-quaver, but we chose to take an easier course," one violinist said."

:D

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Ah...I can see it now.

Everyone in the orchestra will be stomping all over each other's parts trying to cram as many notes in as possible in an attempt to get a raise!

Violinist to Cellist..."Whoa, dude. You were playing all over the top of my solo!"
    Cellist to violinist..."Well, I apologize for that...but I've 5 kids to feed and a house mortgage you know!"

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Fantastic aint it! Such a bloody ignorant and short-sighted idea. How to make certain instruments extinct within a single generation!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is this how chords got started ???

;)

7. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    If you calculate the mass of the strings, I'm sure that the basses do at least as much "work" as the (non-soloist) violinists. One whole note on an open E string requires 50 times the force of a measures-worth of notes on a tiny violin string.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think composers works the other way - so if you write a very slow piece with very few notes - you get the same money as for one with a fast tempo and loads fo notes!! ;)

Does this News story mean that no German orchestras will be playing Mahler's 9th symphony in future? The last movement is very slow and takes almost half an hour to play, but has very few notes and only takes a few pages of the score!!

Maybe they'll just leave that movement out!!??:D

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Good point about the physical effort!!

It is just SO ludicrous isnt it. It actually makes me quite almost angry that someone could even suggest something like that. It's so arrogant!

10. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    This is a joke, but I'll post it here because it's about arrogant violin players.

How many 2nd violin players does it take to change a lightbulb?

You'll have to get a 1st violin player, the 2nd ones can't reach that high! :D :D :D

11. Yes, but since the violin strings are so much shorter it requires a great deal more precision in fingering to achieve the same level of accuracy in intonation. That would have to factor into the equation.

Maybe they could just outsource the jobs to some developing country.

-Mike

12. BBC News: Violinists' fury over "pay fiddle"
    ContorionistWorld News: Violinists' head-into-rectum world record

13. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    This is strange. they shouldn't really get the extra. I mean like singers get more than guitarists. Yet to be a singer you don't really need that much training. You can just pick up song lyrics and sing it. With an instrument you need training. Bassists should also get more money. people say all they do is play one note each beat, but when we arent playing the guitar sounds bland and boring.

I know, we should all go on a strike and show everyone how important we bass players really are

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would switch them all to triangle for a month and see if that improves the situation.

15. I wonder what the precussion gets paid...how many times they actually hit a drum? :smug:

16. bloody whingers. If they are going to be babies about playing too many notes, perhaps the should play triangle then, and leave the violin to the people who want to play violin. 4000 pound a month is good money!

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the best smiley for this is:

[​IMG]

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually, it's very easy to intonate on the violin, on the neck there are only three positions, and then you're already over the upper body.

19. Bruce Lindfield

I think that's what has sparked off their moaning - so in a lot of the standard classical repertiore, the strings play a lot, but percussion can be very minimal!

So - for example in Bruckner's 8th Symphony, the percussionist waits a whole hour before he plays one note on the cymbals!!

I can imagine the violinists sitting near the percussion, who might be reading a novel or the newspaper, while he's waiting, but getting paid the same rate as them - in fact he might well be getting paid more as if there is only one percussionist he is going to be a "principal" and get a higher rate, whereas all those jobbing string players, scraping away incessantly, will just be on standard rates!! ;)