Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Play This game.....!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by irony, Jul 10, 2005.

1. irony

irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    Ok. i have 1,600$ and i need a really good bass amp for the money i got.. i have no idea what i want... so... besides asking ya;ll what i should get. just make it in to a game... lets see who can come up with the best combo.. a cab, a head, any pre amps.. all up to you...

the rules.. are..

1) must stay in the lines of 1,600$
    2)must state the price of each item
    3)and give the website,, where you would get the item.

and plus guys,, i need the help..

thanks.. :help: www.forshadowband.com

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    WARNING: OFF TOPIC
    Cullman!!!! Where do you gig in Cullman? Or do you just ride on down to the 'ham for gigs? As far as gear goes have you been to Highland Music? They always have tons of used stuff here.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, that's a good amount of cash to get a rig with, but there are a few questions that would help us help you pick out a rig. 1. What style of music are you playing? 2. How big of a band(how many members/ what are you up against amp-wise) are you in? 3. How big are the venues that you play?

4. What are you looking for in a rig? Overdrive, tone shaping, raw power or diversity, modern or vintage? What kind of music do you play the most? Any features you can't live without like 2 channels or biamped outputs?

5. irony

irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    yeah thats some good info i for got to say.... we are a 5 member band... 2 guitars and we just won a battle of the bands and now are moveing on to clubs and stuff.. just really wanting to upgrade my amp i have now.. its not a rack... like i want ....its only a 1-12 TKO 65 .. but we will be playing bars and stuff. just the stuff im going to need on the road and things...

we play music like Incubus,and foo fighters... stuff like that

6. irony

irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    only one person has a idea???????

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Kustom Groove bass. 1200 watts of power, plenty of headroom with a 1 15" cab and a 4 10" cab. Plenty of power for everything.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's very, very tough to give you a really good recommendation with such little info....

As far as vol. needs go, what kind of amps do your guitar players sport at the moment?

But.... since no one has thrown you a bone, I guess I will.

Seeing as how it seems you havent tried stuff out, I HIGHLY suggest buying a pre-power setup. Why? Well, because if you despise the tone... you can swap out the preamp and its way cheaper. Also, buy used. Then if you sell stuff away, you wont be out for too much money.

Look into QSC power amps. The RMX series is excellent quality and cheap, but its heavier than the PLX series. So if weight is a factor, or you think it will be, go for the PLX models and spend some extra cash.

Preamps.... that's tough. I recommend going for something from a common brand.... and by that, I mean Ampeg. Yes, 95% of their gear is stuff I consider "overpriced", but their preamps fall into the other 5%. About $500 new, which is a very competitive price in my mind. Take a look at their website and browse at the preamps. I would think either the CL or the PRO would give you some good flexibility, although I've heard the PRO can be noisey.

Other preamps to consider are the Eden Navigator (I believe Dirk Lance used Eden when he was Incubus, but dont quote me), Sansamp RBI, BBE BMax-T, amongst other preamps.... but I feel the place to start would be Ampeg.

Brand Spankin' new, an RMX 1450 and Ampeg preamp would run you up to $900 overall, leaving you with $700 for a cab. That's not a bad budget, but I'd try to have more to work with for cabs, to be honest.... which is why I would go used.

I would avoid Ampeg cabs, and look into something on the higher end, like Eden, Aguilar, or maybe even Schroeder. A Schroeder 410 would be loud enough for the largest gigs you'll probably see. If its not portable enough, you could opt for something smaller, like a pair of Aguilar or Bergantino 112's.

I highly suggest trying equipment though. And if you don't, then definately buy used. Because you never know what your ears might think.

9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    give the $$$ to me and i'll sell you my swr stack... sm500, goliath3 (4x10) and son of bertha (1x15) ;) you should be able to get a nice gk set-up from rik's music ( www.riksmusic.com ) for that money, especially with the new neo stuff that everyone on here is raving about :bassist: then send me the rest as a referral fee ;)

10. irony

irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    ?

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    read this thread.

anyhow, it's impossible for us to make intelligent suggestions, especially when we have to give you the exact price for each component and find them for you.

not to mention that we could still use more specific information about volume requirements, venue size, what sort of tone you're after, etc.

and, what you're asking is sort of like being in line at a fancy ice cream palor and calling all of your freinds asking what flavor you should get. you're going to get 100 different answers, none of them from a person with your exact tastes. The majority of us who are truly satisfied with our rigs spent an awful lot of time checking a whole bunch of stuff out until we found the right recipie for us.

given enough time i'm sure you'll find what you're looking for, and i'm sure we'll be able to help with a lot of the general info. However, once you have the volume needs/general tone thing squared away, you still have a lot of listening and comparing ahead of you. But it's time well spent. there's nothing quite so frustrating as buying something based upon reccomendations of another only to find yourself stuck with something that you don't like ar that isn't adequate for your needs.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    PERFECT Analogy. I'm sure when people read "QSC" on my post, about 12 people went "CREST!!" and 9 more went "STEWART!!"

You NEED to test equipment, to get a ballpark idea.

13. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
  14. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    ok i suggest SWR-SM500 amp and SWR GOLIATH3 cab(4x10)
    plenty of volumen,good for rock,jazz,pop.I had the older version of the two........sm400 and Goliath2 and i loved that rig.Good luck........... :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

15. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    $1000 for SVT-4 Pro
    $600 for a decent Ampeg BXT 410

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    $1600 worth of carrots from your local grocery store.

:meh:

[Sorry; I couldn't resist.]

If I had that much and wanted a decent 'all-purpose' system, I'd probably get:
    a 2nd hand Demeter VTBP-201S preamp (around $450 or less),
    a 2nd hand QSC RMX 1850HD power amp (around $300),
    a Schroeder 1210 cab (around $700),
    and
    a rack case ($whatever -- you'd probably have some change left over).

Another alternative would be a GK 1001RB II (around $650) and a Schroeder 410 or 21012 (around $920).

[Also, you could get a SansAmp RBI (or BBE BMax -- less $$) and QSC RMX 850 for the price of the GK 1001RB II.]

17. irony

irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    could you tell me where i could find all that at.... LO-FREQ

18. Ooh I bet that would be good :bassist:

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Well, as grandma told me you get an awful lot more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Anyhow, The TB classefieds are a good place to peruse, WWW.Bassgear.com is OK, and of course there is always E-Bay. I belive Avatar are available mail order. I think it might be www.avatarspeakers.com, but i could be wrong.