Play till you bleed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We've all (ok, most) have done it. What do you do for it, and do you keep playing after you fix it up, or do you wait a day or so for some healing. I usually go abck at it after a Band-Aid and one day at school. (Blood does NOT come off strings well)
  2. heebs99

Dec 3, 2000
    i havent found anything to do about it really. i asked my teacher, and he said just let it heal. this can take a little while, and i know what it feels like to wanna play real bad. what i did was i played with a pick for a few days while my fingers were healing. if you do this everytime your fingers are hurting real bad, i guess youll eventually maybe pick up some decent pick technique. even tho i dispise picks, it was the only way i found that i could keep on playing. band aids dont work for me because they just fall off or i can still feel the pain thru my band aid. not too much you can do about it. later
  3. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I cut my finger before a gig once, a layer of krazy glue cured that problem quit well.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Crazy glue?? Good Lord...

I heard Flea did that but I assumed that was one of those larger-than-life-exaggerations-'cause-he's-just-that-crazy type of thing.
    I just don't play for a day or two... but now I've got callouses and can play for a loooonnngg time. Makes the days of finger pain all worth it.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not only have I bled while I played, but I even drove from the Emergency Room to play a gig after having esophageal spasming.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have never done this and I have played bass, double bass, tea chest bass and various guitars since 81 . My acoustic guitar strung with 13's does put lines on my fingers.
    The problem with cuts on your hands ( i was a car/truck mechanic for 9 years) is that you constantly jar the damaged tissue and delay the healing process.
    Having hurt your fingers by playing, its playing again that does more damage.

I still play various instruments daily but like food an other things, little and often tends to work. I have just checked my fingers and the tips are rock hard. I am not saying look at me I am great. But something that gives so much pleasure and I am talking about bass:), shouldnt hurt.

Build up gradually and take care of your hands.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've never played till I bled. If I did bleed, I would stop and the audience would understand. If they didn't, I'd pack and leave (oh the joys of freelancing)

Will C.:cool:
  8. i've never played til I bleed, but i have gotten blisters in my right hand when i haven't been playing bass for a week or so and then I go back and over do it. then i just try to start playing jamerson style (1 finger) but play a million times slower...
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to run into this when I was on the road. The problem for me was that I couldn't just wait for a few days. Often, I'd get the blister in the second set of a long week. It was pain time - go backstage, lance the blister, then wrap the fingertip in white medical tape. Repeat as many nights as necessary. Although I was playing out 20+ nights per month, I was also working part-time in a restaurant, and washing dishes would ruin what callouses I had built up in a hurry.
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    One time my guitar teacher broke a whole nail off (which he used to finger pick on guitar) so he super glued a fake one on and kept playing!!!!
  11. when i cut my finger i just put a layer of neosporin and then some model glue. the glue gets hard and if you did it right you should be able to slide the hard glue layer on and off