Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

play with records? or...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by W.J., Jan 6, 2001.

1. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Hi guys

i need some advise ; I feel I've come to a point where i'm stuck . shure I still can improve my technique . That's what I'm doing every day but I love creating my own basslines . as a matter of fact I don't like playing someone
    else 's tab or scores . The thing I enjoy the most is be creative . But I feel that I'm stay at the same position all the time . everyone tells me to play along with some records but it don't intrests me .
    What do you guys think ? be hard for a while and play along or should I do something else?

Thank you ...;)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    WJ-
    ...in the MISC Forum, check out the thread titled "Playing & Sitting With Yourself". I posted a couple times explaining some things I try to do when the wall hits(like all the time!).

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My two cents worth would be that the more you know about music, the more tools you will have with ahich to be creative. You can learn more by trying to learn what other bassists do in their songs. Figure out what they do, then try to play it your way, maybe just using one of their techniques. Evidently you feel you need to add to your arsenal. Listen hard to music you enjoy playing. See what the bassist did. Also read magazines like Bass Player that have interviews with well known bassists from each genre of music. See what they have to say that you might apply to your own playing. Lastly, try out some of the lessons here and elsewhere. Learning just one new technique, scale, mode or musical idea might open up your playing, taking it to new levels. Also try what the poster just above said. He knows what he is talking about.

Jason Oldsted.

4. take a couple of days off from it. wait until you are dying to pick up your bass then wait another day. thats how my fresh ideas come to me.

5. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    that was some good advise ... I back on track !

6. y'know what works for me? i put on some techno, like the chemical bros or something, that has great druma patterns but not a lot of musical notes going on. sometimes they throw in a couple of blurbs which kind of establishes the key. but anyway it's great to play along to and create basslines, and it leaves tons of freedom to be creative.

7. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks for the advise mate , but...... I really don't like this kind of music . It gets me nervous . and it hasn't any musical value in it, and no human intonation . anyway thanks.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's your goal?

Learning through emulation has worked well for lots of people for many years. That's what playing along with recordings is about, lifting lines that others have thought up and learning how and why they work. Then take something from that and use in your own playing.

Music is not created in a vacuum, all of the great musical innovators learned from those that came before them.
    What's the old saying "You have to learn the rules before you can break them"?

What is probably limiting you is that as much as you want to be creative, you've run out of ideas. So go learn how other musicians (not just bass players) put their music together, you're sure to learn something new that will trigger some new ideas.