Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playability issue on basses w/ MM pups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Feb 14, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Most MM pickups (4 string models anyway) are attached at the top by two screws. Most MM pickups are shaped to accomodate these screws and consequently you get two jutting round edges across the top of the pickup.

I like to rest my thumb on pickups -- and this kinda bugs me as I'm relegated to keeping my thumb in the tiny remaining flat area of the pickup.

Any suggestions or am I just.....screwed? :eyebrow:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I rest mine inbetween the two bumps and its fine.

3. Why not make yourself a custom-fit thumbrest that would be as long as you require and a little wider than those ears on the pickup and then carve out notches to accommodate those ears.
    This will leave you with a nice long smooth edge on the other side to slide your thumb up and down.

Colour it to your taste (or use a wood of your choice, like ebony). Attach it to the bass with double face tape.

Use cheap wood, like pine, to trial some prototypes first off.

And like the Aussies say..."Bob's your uncle."

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sounds like a good idea for a business that you've got there. I'll take two please.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Works fine for me.

But if you need to, that homemade thumbrest idea is a great one!

6. I guess on my OLP i have my thumb resting on the corner of the pup and have no problem with it. However if you do not find this comfortable making a thumb rest is your best idea even though it could possible bring down the value of the bass if you look to sell it.
    Cheers,
    Dave

7. It won't affect the value...because you'd attach it with double-face tape. No drilling or screwing ...no way.

When it comes time to sell, you simply remove the thumbrest and clean off the residue. Piece of Cake!

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    even if you find you have to attach it more securely, you can buy a replacement pick guard and attach it to that, so when the time comes, you just replace the pickguard.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i used to rest my thumb in between as well. two things i wasnt big on..... when i used a pick, i would sometimes hit the poles and it would kill picks and i would shredded pick all over my guitar, and when i use my finger, i liked to play a little more towards the neck and cannot with that pickup.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think if you play it enough, the issue disappears. Like wearing a wristwatch, you don't even notice it anymore.

The pickups on the Bongos have contours. I wonder if all the newer MM basses do. It's kinda nice.

11. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    make the holes for thumb in the pickguard
    Second photo is from net and first is my olp

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Or use a small bracket (or shape the wood appropriately) that uses the two MM screws to attach to.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Either that, or you could put super glue on your thumb and then just glue it right to the body itself.

You could also try moving your hand once in awhile.

14. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    One of the first basses I played was a MM ripoff and I hated it. And for about 2 years I couldn't stand musicmans. I always tried giving them a chance at music stores but I finally got a chance to spend some time with one and uesd one at a few practices. That got rid of most of my hate towards them. After you get used to it they're really comfotable. I actually like the feel of resting my thumb in between the two screw "juts".