Playability of original Steinberger vs. Korean Spirit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by napabass, Feb 8, 2006.

1. I own a Steinberger Spirit, a wooden import made in Korea that is supposed to replicate the original Steinbergers L series made out of graphite. I've never played the original and wondered those of you who have played both could comment on similarities and differences. Things like weight, feel of the fretboard, tone would be relevant. The Spirit is fun to play and I wondered if the original is worth the price premium. Thank you.
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a Hohner B2ADB as well as an original XL2. The XL2 is heavier, extremely stable, has a wider tonal range and I like the feel of phenolic boards, but it's no big deal either way. The necks feel almost identical in shape in my hands, but the carbon one feels better to run my thumb along. Because the wooden versions don't have the pivot plate, the reach to the first position is long and so they feel awkward to play standing, but there's little difference between them sitting. I prefer the clearer and deeper tones the XL2 pulls out, and I find the B2 a bit muddier in comparison (and I've tried different pups in it, but not my original XL2 ones).

Is it worth the price difference? To me, definitely. Then again, I have both.