1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playable Lowest tension tuning for 4 string bass for least wrestling

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mustafa Umut Sa, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    I want to tune my bass to lowest tension . Its stagg something with dunlop warm strings. I never have time to exercise my hands on bass and I have a electric guitar and I found I had had been lowered the tension of strings to protect the neck. Now I can press chords with my left hand and it was exiting but not good to play something.

What is the low tension tuning I can tune with my small silly electronic tuner ?

What is acceptable and playable and been used ?

Umut
    Istanbul

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Lowest with acceptable feel and sound is entirely subjective. Nobody else can answer that question for you.

Alternatively, you could either practice an adequate amount or get a different hobby.

3. operagost

operagost

Dec 13, 2017
    On a string instrument, the two ways to lower tension are to use thinner strings or shorter strings. So you want to play a short scale bass, or use lighter strings. But if you don't practice, you're not going to sound good anyway because playing bass guitar parts is not like playing six string guitar. It's a different role, no matter the genre.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The three ways to lower tension are thinner, shorter or tuning to a lower pitch. Which is what OP was asking about.

5. operagost

operagost

Dec 13, 2017
    Well, of course you can detune too. Another option I thought of is a Kala ubass.

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you are finding it difficult to fret notes on your bass, the problem might be that it just need a good setup. With a proper setup and relatively low action, it takes very little strength to fret notes or chords on a bass with standard (EADG) tuning. You might just have too much relief (bow) in the neck, or the strings need to be lowered, or both. I recommend doing this before looking for other solutions.

Seanto likes this.
  7. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks friends, I never done sports in my life and all my past 25 years past in front of computer. My hands are weak. If I had amp to play , may be everything would be easier but economy is collapsing and every imported amp gained too much. I am trying to hear the bass from strings and I hit with right hand and the left hand must be very tight to everything hearable and clean.

I am looking to niels henning orsted pedersen and he plays effortless due to lots of electronics

Now my left 5th finger have trigger problem , very thin ,weak and short. Trying to press on frets is only makes pain . My action is low and strings dunlop warm. I dont know what to do with little finger.

I am reading baroque music articles and I am thinking to tune to 416 or so hertz tuner allows.

I bought the guiar for 35 dollars heavily used and original strings were very old and excellent. I changed with dunlop and what a failure.

I think dunlop top winding been made with thicker wire , it doesnt sit on fret easily and more pressure needed.

I did not like new stainless steel feel , it is strange to hand.

Older corroded strings were excellent.