Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playback problem with tape recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ace123, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Our band recently purchased a Tascam 414 4-track tape recorder. Whenever we record on it, we can hear ourselves play when we play it back IN THE RECORDER. HOWEVER WHEN WE TAKE THE TAPE OUT OF THE RECORDER AND PUT IT IN A STEREO, IT WILL PLAY IN SLOW MOTION. Does anyone know why this happens and what we can do to prevent that?

We know the recording works because we can hear it in the recorder but when we take the tape out and try to play it is messed up (slow motion.

Any ideas here?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A 4-track records at a different speed (higher), that's why.

4-track tapes are not intended for use in a stereo tape-deck, you need to "export" it, hook a tape deck to the 4-track, hit record on the tape, play on the 4-track.

3. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    So i have to record the 4-track tape onto an exterior different tape? What is the exact piece of equipment i need to export it? I do understand what you are saying but i don't know exactly what to get. THank you though

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just connect the line out of the 4-track with the record in of the tape - all you should need is a stereo cable with RCA (cinch) plugs.

5. It sounds like the recorder is recording at a faster (higher) speed than the stereo is playing the tape back.

Solution = RTFM*

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

*Read The Flaming Manual

Oh, by the way - depending on the configuration of the playback-heads of the stereo, you might only hear two of the original tracks. Again you really need to RTFM*

6. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Obviously the first thing i checked was the manual. We did step-by-step exactly what the book told us to do. And it works in the player but the tape doesn't work when played in stereo. It didn't say anything in the manual about that.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    IME, 4 track recorders will not only run at double speed, but they'll use both sides of the tape at once. In order to get all 4 tracks, it'll use both tracks on the side you're using, and both tracks on the other side. So when you play it in a normal tape player, you'll get two of the tracks at half speed. When you play the other side, you'll get the other two tracks, backwards, at half speed.

Your 4-track should have a stereo output, or a 2-track output. With mine it's two phono sockets (left and right). You need to connect that up to the stereo input of a normal tape recorder. Then, press record on the normal recorder, and press play on the 4-track. Then mix it live as you record it to the normal tape recorder.

8. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks a lot moley and everyone else, you really helped me out. As soon as i get the recorder back (Our guitarist has it at the moment) i'll try out the solution, thanks

9. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You may want to check out the type of wall adaptor you are using. I have a Tascam 4-track, Portastudio, and I lost the original wall adaptor, so I used a different adaptor (a 9v, or something) when it uses a 12v. Had the same problem until I got a new adaptor.