1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played 2 pre CBS's yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Dec 24, 2002.

1. First off, Ive never even *seen* anything like this before in person. I stopped by the local GC, and in the boutique room was a 1960 P and a 1964 J. Both were bursts, and were beat. Major relicing going on.

There were no bass amps in the room, so I didnt plug in, nor did I want to (both priced around $4500 :eek:) THe J had major chips in the fretboard, didnt effect playing, but was very noticeable to the eye.

Neither did anything for me, except visually. I mean, they both played fine, but not great, and CERTAINLY not $4500 great.

Now I just love my MIM J more then ever, couldnt tell any difference, and is about $4200 cheaper:D

2. Not all old Fenders were wonderful, but some of them were absolutely magic. I've played a 64 J and a 61 J belonging to friends, and they were both beyond anything you could buy today. At the same time I tried another friend's Sadowsky, and to be honest, the Fenders left it for dead.

3. My junior high school had an old 60's Fender J-Bass that was amazing. I loved it, but the strings were so bad that I didn't get the full effect of the bass.
    :(