Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a '68 P-Bass and a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by josh_m, Sep 12, 2004.

1. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I want her so bad. :bawl:

Undescribable tone, had loads and loads of growl but still sounded like a P.

The question: Serial # does show that it is a '68 but it has oval tuners, I read somewhere that oval tuners were only used in '66. Is it a '66 neck on a '68 body? or maybe a replacement neck plate from a '68?

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I've got a '68 P bass with oval tuners. The oval tuners started being used in '66, and were only used on Jazz basses (to my knowledge). By '68, they were also being used on some Precision and Telecaster basses. I've seen a Telecaster bass from '68 with them, it actually belonged to the guy I bought my Precision off.

If you want to be 100% sure, you'll have to pull the neck off, and check the stamp on the end.

Also, check the nut width - mine's a B neck (1.675"), as opposed the usual C neck (1.75"). I get the impression that '68 was a year when a few B neck Precisions were made.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I asked if I could take some things apart (I also wanted to see the year of the pots) but they wouldn't let me, I don't blame them.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yeah, I can understand that. It depends on who you're dealing with, and how much coin is involved. All I can say is that, yes, oval tuners were most definitely used on Precision basses from that year.

Oh, and yes, Precision basses from that year kick ass!! :D