played a 76 fender J today ......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfrez, Jan 7, 2002.

1. I wasn't very impressed, it had a HUGE neck, not very fast, and someone bastardized it with EMG's!!!
    I am a fender style bass player and IMO i thought this bass was one of the worst i've played, and on top of that the dealer wanted $1200 for it! Well, give me your thoughts on simular basses
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A Jazz Bass with a huge neck? Must have been modded or something.
  3. no, this was stock, by "huge" i meant the width
  4. I think the width is what EString was refering to. If the neck was"huge", maybe someone put a P neck on it. The width should be 1.500" at the nut shouldn't it? Maybe in '76 that's not so, but I think it should be.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe they offered a P-type option in 76. My 77 is narrow at the nut... typical of 4 string Fender J's. First time I've heard a J neck described as huge

6. No kiddin'. Something is phony about a Jazz with a huge neck.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had a 70's Jazz(77 I think)that had the thinnest neck I ever played.The Bass was sunburst/maple fingerboard and had the original pickups(that hummed like crazy)and all the ashtrays and a thumb rest.My only gripe with it(besides the noisy pickups)was that it weighed a ton.Much heavier than any other MIA Fender Ive ever owned-in fact it felt heavier than my five string MIA Jazz.

Overall a nice Bass,but I wound up selling it and getting a 50th anniversary MIA P.
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i love mid to late 70 j basses. huge neck pocket gaps and all. the width at the nut on all the late 70's j's ive played has always been 1.5" but the profile was definitely thicker than a 60's j. i dont think fenders from that era are the most versatile guitars but they have some great tone. i guess the heavy norhtern ash is a love or hate thing. people always seem to complain about the boat anchor weight as a sign of fender's decreasing quality just because they dont like nothern ash. if you prefer lightweight swamp ash, cool, but it doesnt make that era of fenders dogs.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have two a 77 Nat/Maple at 11lbs and a 78 Nat/Rosewood at 12 1/2 lbs both have the thinnest necks I have ever played and the Tone is to die for!
    They are both keepers.
    Heavy/ Neckbinding / 3bolt neck / slopy neck pocket / All the things I love about 70's Jbasses.;)
    Actualy both pockets are pretty tight on mine!