1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played a '76 P today for the very first time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holy War, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Man what a bass! The thing was a freaking boat anchor (probably 13-14 lbs, if not more, if I had to guess) but the tone was truely amazing. The neck was HUGE compared to my 2008 and I loved every square inch of it. It was natural with a maple board, all stock except a BadAss II, and it just played so well. Price was $1699, not sure if thats a good price point or not, but thats where it was set; I could probably get another 1 or 2 hundred off of it if I tried though.

Anyways, I always hear people complaining about 70s Fenders, but this one was great no doubt about it...GAS!!!!

:mad:

2. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I think the weight is what people complain about most.

I learned on a late 70s Fender P, and Fender Ps are my favorite bass by far.

3. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    man thats heavy..its so hit n miss with these. ive played 9lb feathers and 13lb monsters out of this era. they are amazing, nothing feels better than a 30+ year old maple board and IMO the more wear the better. $1700 seems high. ive had them offered my way for as low as $1100 for "player condition" the heart wants what it wants so youll either find a happy price point or youll walk. either way, great taste

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Must be, because it was the only "bad" thing about this instrument. Man do I want it badly! I really do haha. Hopefully it will stay on the market for awhile...

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Ya, the problem with the price is that I found it at a GC :spit:

Stopped by there today to get some strings on my tri-monthly trip to GC and there it was. I knew I shouldnt have picked it up because I knew I would want it haha.

Oh and of course I have a GC story to go with it:

As I was talking to the "salesman" I said, "man, this things got some weight to it," as he replys, "Ya, well, its not a Warwick Thumb."

And then I thought to myself, well ya, no **** Sherlock

Not that bad of a GC story, but still seemed kind of like a knuckle dragger :D

6. Holy-
    There was a BP column about a P bass a few years back. The columnist said he'd played them off and on for years and didn't see what all the fuss was all about. Then one day he played the one that finally 'spoke' to him.

A P Bass just spoke to you. Are you listening?

7. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I've got a '76 P, it's just under 11 pounds, which is still not very lightweight!, it's got a jazz width neck. Apparently, there's a lot of variation in those models. It's a killer bass too.

8. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I know right! Times are just tough, Im going to have to sit on this one and figure out a way to pay for it. The problem with GC, is that they dont do lay away on used items....:scowl:

9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    THATS BS. whoever said they didnt is a liar. my last 2 basses from GC were both used and both done on a layaway. go talk to the manager, negotiate a price and put that badboy on layaway

10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    mmmm.. thats an "A" neck right. P's with J neck cause me to lose my mind

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    No, folks ordered them narrow sometimes -- all you had to do was ask (I knew guys who did it).

It's odd that the P-bass of the time was a real rock and roll workhorse, but the J-basses, due to CBS's idea of making the J bass a "Premium" instrument, was dorked up with that annoying binding and three-bolt neck.

That said, the mid/late 70s P was not my cup of tea either - too heavy, too bulky of a neck... But I'd take it over a J made at the time.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Wrong: That may be YOUR GC's policy, but the one in Pasadena sold me a used Lakland on layway - *and* I talked them down a fair amount.

Call the store manager if you *really* want it. Better yet - Buy it used on line and skip GC altogether!

13. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Wait, I'm trying to stand up straight after reading the OP. :bassist: Seriously, if you have no back problems, and are in good physical shape, go for it!

GC gives me layaway on used items, just not very long on the calendar (and they know I'm a low maintenance, frequent customer).

14. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Im 24 and an Officer in The United States Marine Corps. I can take a 12-14 lbs P bass haha

:bassist:

15. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Thanks for the heads up man! Ill go talk to the manager soon about it.

16. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Coincidentally, my 79xx serial number P weighs about exactly the same as the '76. Also, my Thumb5BO weighs just a hair under 10 pounds.