Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a Cort Elrick Josh Paul 5 today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Jun 14, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A local store brought a red one in and it looks and plays like a $2,000+ bass, although the MSRP is $1,100+ and the actual street price will be much less. I have to admit that I concur with the BP magazine review; this bass has a tremendous amount of high end, even with the treble control set at flat. Naturally, you can roll off the highs to suit your taste, since the controls allow both boost and cut. The bass that I played had a slight Musicman vibe, as far as tone, even when slapped with the three band eq set flat and pick blend centered on both pickups. The bass feels real good as far as the neck width and thickness (not too thick, yet not too thin) and overall weight of the bass. If you like that funky agressive Josh Paul slap tone, this is it!

The three band tone controls are cut/boost and are very effective. I don't know what their center frequency is, but they sure can crank in a ton of tone depending on what you want. 'nough already said about the treble. The mid and bass controls provide you with the ability to dial in some serious warm but punchy mids, or dial in a tremendous amount of low end.

I've wanted to try this bass for while and have looked at a number of them via the net. One thing that I noticed is that the amount of figuring on the body tops seems to vary from one bass to another. Some have highly figured tops while others have a top that barely qualifies as being "figured". So, buyer beware, if you're buying mail order or off the net. It's a great bass for the price though (street price just under $800 or so)!

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The Conklin Groove Tools (made by Cort) have the same top issue.

I think it's great what Cort is doing, first with the Conklins and now with the Elrick

3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Yeah I was considering ordering one, just can't find any mail-orders.

4. Hey Bassman2000:

There's one on the Bay for $649 BIN, currently at $305 with one day to go. I own one and absolutely love it....my MTD 535 has been sitting in its case for over a month. I agree with the previous comments...it plays and sounds like a $2000+ bass....not sure on the figured top issue...mine is certainly figured, but not "highly" figured. I was in Florida last week and took it to Bass Central....let's put it this way....everbody loved it and even though I was came interested in the "real" Elrick, both the guys and myself came to an easy conclusion..."why pay more?" This is bass is that good.