Played a couple of F Basses and Fodera's Today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 15, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    VERY NICE. Haven't played either of these brands in quite a while so I tried them while I was at the shop.

Not my thing tone wise but man the necks on both were very, very nice. They looked meticulously constructed.

The Foderas were very comfortable sitting down but akward and heavy for me.The F Basses were very comfortable.

I can see why guys on her love them. Very nice indeed!
  2. I've played Fodera's and I love them...I have yet to play an F bass though
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now you've got to play Bongos Mike!
  4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I have. I was not impressed at all. Sorry.
  5. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Ill never get to play a fodera or F-Bass unless i travel to NAMM one year or buy them!
  6. Yes, F Bass rocks! lol ;)
    I plan to get a Fodera, can you describe your feelings more about it??
    Sounds, models??

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i once planned to get a fodera

but i guess unless you have a big name, they dont pick up the phone or answer your e mails.

ohwell, i'll spend 8 grand somewhere else.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Like most manufacturers, Fodera does not sell direct. You should contact one of their dealers if you are seriously interested in getting one. Speaking as a representative of another manufacturer, this is WHY we have dealerships - our job is to BUILD the bass, not SELL it.

Also, consider this: If they are answering the phone call or e-mail of every person that has even a passing interest in their bass, how much time do you think they have left for actually building the bass?

In the case of my company, that's my #1 job, answering the e-mails and phone calls from everyone - dealers and players, so that the people that actually build can do just that. However, not every company has that luxury. Having at one time worked for a Fodera dealer, I can assure you, they are a very small company, and are understaffed to handle all of the e-mail and phone traffic from players that are just "interested". This doesn't mean you aren't important, on the contrary, you're the most important thing to a builder, it just means you're trying to contact the wrong people.

Again, contact a dealer, you will find several that will be very helpful.
  9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have purposely not played either bass because I know what would happen. I would have to sell my house and hire out my kids. I stayed away from Sadowsky for just that reason...and then I played one, now I have one.
  10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I understand what you are saying BUT there has to be a balance. Before I ever had "deals" with manufacturers I would have a lot of problems getting information. Hell, with one company I had a deal with I could never get in touch with the artist rep to answer questions and gt something ordered.

What if the dealers doesn't carry a certain model? What if there isn't dealer close by? What if the only dealer has that arrogant High End Bass Store attitude and prices hiugher because they are the only one? What if it is a super chain and all they care about is the initial sale?

I have called over to Nordstrand a coiuple times to find out about pickups and guess what? Carey picked up the phone both times.

If I call over to Sadowsky, about half the time it is Roger I get. If I don't get him I get Kevin or Nino.

If you call Fender you can get a customer service person.

Any manufacturer should have a customer services department even if that is one person. A HIGH END bass manufacturer who is expected a customer to drop $3k - $8k BETTER be available before and after the purchase.
  11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have been REALLY diggin my Sadowsky
    and have been playing almost non stop since i got it, but last night i had a funk/jazz gig quartet gig where i got to blow solos in about half the tunes ( how boring for the poor audience! ) so i took my beloved F bass
    and the added flexibility of the preamp and the faster feel of the neck reminded me why it is STILL # 1 in my book- tone for days. Love the Sadowsky for suppprtive role things, but when it's time to fly, out comes the F ! :bassist:
  12. Every time I've called a High End bass builder the owner has taken my call personally. Every time I've emailed a high end company I've had my emails responded to promptly. Anyone who wants a few thousand of my dollars and who can't return even an email can go f*** themselves.
  13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Drool over the Sad. Yeah, I am not the jazz/soloing type cat so the Sad's just do it for me in spades.
  14. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I don't understand why high-end builders don't invest in 1 or 2 customer service/salespeople to sell their basses direct, at a higher price than they would sell it to a dealer, but at a lower price than the public would pay from a dealer. They would make enough extra profit to support selling direct.

I think "we," the customers, end up paying way too much for the "luxury" of having a dealership handle the transaction and like Mike said, we often have to put up with the "High-End Store" attitude and the misinformation about the products.

I think the operation that Sadowsky has is a perfect model. I'm sure Roger is not the buffing finishes all day long, so he can afford to be on the phone with customers. . . Definitely a great model for smaller builders (including the great and updated website).
  15. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES

I wouldn't call all Fodera's heavy, it depends on the wood
    choice and selection. They can make a 7lb 4-string if that
    is what you are wanting. Your shoulder would thank you
    that's for sure!
  16. Lou.L

Jun 24, 2005
    To all they are great basses and so well made the service is great. They are just bussy filling orders and catering to there customers as should be. If you dont like one they take it back no questions asked. There in high demand. Im a Fodera dealer who would love to help any one in obtaining information on Fodera or ordering one. I also a have a few sliglty used ones that look bran new nver used if anyone is interested.

Thanks to all
  17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Though this may be true, but it hasn't been my experience.

This also hasn't been my experience and any business that isn't answering the phone, won't be in business for very long. Unless you have psychic powers you don't know who may be on the phone.

Fodera is a small company but you can still talk to someone on the phone and if you live in NY you can actually go there or to Epifani, they're both in the same building.
  18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

First off who is paying 8k for a Fodera? I've never paid that much, not even for my beez. The typical model is going to be far less than that much.

Plus they pick up the phone when you call if they can. Period. True their email support is lacking but it's just a few guys who are incredibly busy. I've called and gotten great service when they had no idea who I was.

And Adrian's F bass really rocks.
  19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    That is a GREAT looking Sadowsky. I really dig that pickguard against the black body with the white MOP block inlays on the maple neck. Cool man. And your F? Forget about it!$@!$#!~!! Miss America isn't even that sexy! Gary