1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Played a couple of Fodera's yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 18, 2005.

1. It was a weird coincidence yesterday at the freindly neighbourhood bass store in London - http://www.thebassgallery.com/ - as myself and fellow UK TBer David B turned up to check a few bits out and there, but just as we were arriving two guys were carrying out a cab into their car outside. Squeezing into the shop, it's damn packed with basses and amps, Alex (the top guy who runs the shop) say "Oh you just missed a couple of beautiful Fodera's - a Yin Yang and a Monarch" - the basses belonged to the guys who were loading the cabs into their car. I've been showing Alex a few double-thumping things as he's trying to get it together and obviously these are the basses for that style - but fortunately when he asked if I could try their basses the guys were more than happy to oblige - plus we had Matt Garrison's Epiphani rig - a 510 head into a 2x12!!! - and I have to say the resulting sound was ridiculously powerful, the TONE was gargantuan!

My thoughts on the basses themselves - the Monarch had a spalted maple top, which was stunning, and the Yin Yang was also very beautiful - were that the build and wood choice were exceptional, plus the electronics were in a different league to most other instruments (though I'm sure cooking up a similar frequency range is possible if you have the ways and means) - but I have to say playability-wise I didn't find them that amazing, though I'm sure if they were set up properly for me then I'd be in bass-heaven! The fact these instruments still retail in UK money at about 4000 pounds it still scare the crap out of me thinking about spending that much money - on anything - apart from a house - but it was great to finally get a chance to plug in two of these monsters and feel and hear them properly - the sound was just awesome - and that is the one reason I'd want to own one.

The best/worst part was Alex, being the lovely guy he is, says "Yeah, Mike's pretty wicked at the Wooten slap thing, it's really impressive" then I had 6 people crowding round me for a demo - on a bass that wasn't at all set up for me - it was nice but a little embarrassing too ;)

M

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes, it was a treat to see some great basses played so well! :cool:

(I'm just glad that I wasn't asked to follow you! ;) )

3. Ho guys....
    you're damn lucky!! I wish I were you... lol
    Would love to try too!

Vince