Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a couple Trace Elliot T-Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T. Alan Smith, Aug 14, 2004.

1. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Very nice. New old stock. Both a 4 and a 5er. Great feel, tone, and looks. I love satiny necks. The T-Bass's neck had a flattened hump which was a refreshing change. I didn't plug it in, but I rarely do anyway.

Anybody care to share any thoughts???
    I'm wondering...as Brittish-made instruments out of production for a couple years, would they make for a good long-term investment?

2. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    i got a trace elliot t bass 5 couple of months ago here in UK for £450 - about $850. Its black and has the individual bridge pieces with no position markers on the fretboard.

its very nice

if you're looking out for one you might like to note that strangely the solid colour ones were the top of the range whereas the sunburst and natural colours were lower down with a lesser specification

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a TBass 5 for a while. It was ok, was a nice player but I felt the tone was slightly generic. But it was a solid giggable bass. One problem I had, the neck pickup was awfully close to the neck which made for some tricky slap playing.

As for as an investment, it depends on the price you're getting it for. Status basses aren't that well known over here, so they can be tough to sell second hand.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Good point. I'm looking long-term, FWIW.

These were solid color with the 4/5 piece bridges. Pretty high quality. I'm sure I could get the 5er for around $850 if I tried.

Thanks! :)

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    BUMP for the weekday crew! :ninja:

6. helu

helu

Aug 3, 2004
    Sandefjord, Norway
    Hi!
    I've just bought me a T-bass, after some years of hunting in Norway!
    I love it!
    It's got a very quick action together with the possibility to eq. just the sound you would like.
    I use this bass together with an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO2 and an Eden 210xlt and sometimes an ext. 15 cab.
    I play '70 and '80 rock/pop and some blues.
    reg's
    Helge
    [​IMG]

7. Here are mine. The one on the left is a 1996 Special Edition. It is Sea Foam Green with a maple board with amber (aged) mother of pearl block inlays. I have actually been looking to trade this one for another bass. You know how GAS is.

The one on the right is the original NAMM TBass. I bought it from Michael Kaman when he got out of the distribution business.

T-Basses are the best Jazz type basses I have played. I will admit that the EQ is a tad limiting. The only thing it doesn't do great is harmonics. It has the most outrageous slap tone ever. The volume knobs have 20 detents to them. They are great. These basses (IMO) beat Lull, Sadowsky (I know I will get crucified for that remark here, but I honestly believe it - why else would I have two of them), Celinder, etc.

8. T-Basses because they were made in limited numbers are like a nice secret. I been through a few basses and love the T-Basses. Sold a 98 Ltd Ed. CAR and have been kicking myself ever since. I have two T-Basses now. The butterscotch (antique white) is a rare T-2 with piezo bridge. Both are awesome sounding and easy to play and quality next to the best.