Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a DB750 again today!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 13, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Love this amp. I played it with the EQ flat and flat with just the deep switch engaged. I used a Lakland Skyline Jazz (good but my Sad's should be a ton better) through the Aggie 4-12 cab. Sounded great. Then tried it through an Epi 2-12. Not great until I boosted the mids on the DB750.

I thought the Aggie 4-12 cab sounded really nice. But, I am going to be trying an El Whappo early next month.

As much as I like the DB750 I may just go with the DB659 or DB680 pre. I need to be able to run direct out of the unit while NOT having a cabinet connected about half the time (direct/in-ears).

From my understanding you HAVE TO have a load on the DB750.

Is this incorrect and can I get some more feedbacl on the DB659 vs. the DB680?

I loved how tubey yet tight the DB750 was. Yikes I love this sound!

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah Mike, I LOVE mine, and it does sound good with my Sadowsky's, I have a U5 (Avalon) for those direct only situations. I'm running my Aggie with an LDS 2X10 neo and an Eden 4X10T (which I'm about ready to sell for a LDS 2X12 neo) nothing wrong with the Eden (just heavy). And that thing rocks (aggie) sounds fat with everything, even my maple board NYC sounds fat with the Aggie, still slaps great tho.....

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Mike -

I know tube amps *must* have a load - but was thinking that it's not necessary for SS amps...but better find out from someone who knows for sure.

calling IvanMike.

4. Just make sure you walk that head back and forth between the store and your car a couple of times before you take the plunge! It sounds great... but my god... it's the heaviest head I've ever experienced. Another TBer (tommix)remarked about how similar the Thunderfunk550 can sound to the 750 (he owns both), and it's 1/3rd the price and 15 pounds :D

5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    ...it seems light to me...but then again, I'm comparing it to an SVT. :help:

6. I guess everything is relative! Compared to a big tube head, it probably is relatively light! It just seems very, very heavy for a hybrid head to me. However, if the weight is not a problem... I've never heard a negative comment regarding the sound of the 750... just seems you can get very close with half the weight.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How heavy is it?

To my understanding, it's SS power section, yes? So it really shouldn't have a problem running without a load?

How can a hybrid be THAT heavy!?

Pansies :p

8. Site lists it at 43 pounds without a rack! So, around 50 pounds+ with a three space rack.

9. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    couldnt he use a dummy load? Im not so sure about the DB750 but wouldnt that work?

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ken, Thanks again for the strings, like I said I think of mine as a "light" SVT instead of a heavy EVERYTHING else!
    :p

11. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Hey...no need to have a load (speaker) connected to the DB 750 in order to use the DI. This is only an issue with a tube power section. The DB 750 has a transistor power section, tube preamp.

DB

12. How can a hybrid be THAT heavy!?

Pansies

Oh to be an 18 year-old again....in another 30 years this may actually be an issue for you. :smug: In my rack it's no less than 60 lbs and quite awkward...I can carry my eden cabs easier, but at 47 I'm still schlepping this one around becasue it sounds so good and for no other reason.

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I use to have two SVT Pro-II's and other gear in a 16 space rack. I know what ya mean man. Thank God for Tech;s and Union Roadies!

14. I believe it's a little bit heavier than the weight published on the Aguilar website.... or it certainly seems like it is. One look at the large Plitron transformers inside and you'll understand why.

15. Amen brother! Mine feels like it weighs 75lbs....and at 2:30 a.m. and after a few beers it feels even heavier! :D

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Excellent. Thanks Dave. Good talking to you a couple weeks ago! All the best.

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had a unique opportunity (for me) last week. I rehearsed some new material with just our acoustic guitarist/vocalist, and our drummer. We all sat very close to one another on chairs and I got the opportunity to really hear what my 750 and Whappo Jr. sounds like with my Rumblefish. It was really, really good. So concussive, so thick and zesty. The 750 is a great sound. It's worth the weight.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's the transformers. And I'm 57 and lug it for the very same reason.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    heavy enough to be annoying.

if i'm gonna be lugging that kind of weight around, might as well take the DB728.

now, THAT sucker's worth the weight. ;)

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Boo-yah!!!